another faulty blower fan :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stupidxantia

another faulty blower fan :(

Post by stupidxantia »

I have had a scan through the thread that is sticky'd at the top, still haven't gotten any further to fixing the issue!

year and a half ago when I gave the car to my brother the fans worked 99% of the time with no issue. A couple of months ago he reported to me that they had gone properly intermittent on him so just continued to use the car with the fan fault present!
I got the car back almost a week ago and the fans are inoperable (annoying seen as though it's wet around these parts at the moment) ... Heated rear screen works perfectly well and you can hear the climate control fan thingy at the top of the dash working (the one that sits behind the alarm light next to the clock). Unplugged every relay and connector, relays too ... also checked the fuse and reconnected everything with no change on the dead fans front :roll:

When you operate the fan speed slider from auto to any position (it has air con / climate that does work ... well did) you can hear a relay type click from the fan unit area under the passenger side of the dash .... but you get nothing from the fan in relation to any kind of speed or function! What the Hell?????
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: another faulty blower fan :(

Post by rory_perrett »

I'm afraid as covered in the sticky thread it is a case of working your way logically through the system from the fan motor back until you find the fault. A cheap multimeter is a must, if you haven't already got one then it will be £10 well spent as you have you have a French car and we all know the reputation of French Car electrics.
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

well I have covered lots of checks with this and haven't gotten anywhere fast, Until today that is!

I was over in Hartlepool earlier today and hit a speed hump thingy a bit harder than was comfortable (still getting used to being in a floaty car and need to watch my speed more carefully). A magical thing happened ... the fans sprung back into life *YAY*, They have been working all day too because I believe I have found the fault!

When I owned this car a year and a half ago I always used to have lots of keys on my keyring, In turn these were fairly heavy so kept the key forced down in the ignition barrel. Now during my brothers ownership he has never had anything other than a keyring on the key so there is no weight there any more and thus bringing the issue to light!
I also noticed that when the fans are blowing the metal part of the key is fairly hot when removed from the ignition, also the car gives me a belt (like a bad static shock) when I get out lol !
How would I go about fixing the ignition fault as I know that this can be a thing with xantia's or is it worth sticking in a remote start circuit to bypass the ignition barrel of all functions bar the ignition steering lock? I presume that this would fix the fan fault at the same time ??
stupidxantia

Post by stupidxantia »

Oh and to note, my rear screen de-mist works with no issue at all which I am told is odd if the ignition is faulty