C5 X7 Hill start assist

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tom068674

C5 X7 Hill start assist

Post by tom068674 »

Hello,
Citroen 2008 C5 X7 2.7HDI Tourer
Can anybody help with my C5 2.7 problem with the hill start assist.
I only recently realised that this feature was fitted, but not working.
The problem - HSA not working. No errors or messages for ABS or EPS.
The HSA should be available above a 3 degree inclination, according to Citroen specs.
My suspicion is that the central inertia sensor bolted to the floor under the passenger seat
is what determines the inclination. I have recalibrated the sensor with Lexia OK, no errors.
So as there are no errors could the sensor be stuck/seized, so that
hill inclination is not detected. Has anybody had experience with this type of sensor?
Thanks, Tom.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: C5 X7 Hill start assist

Post by qprdude »

Welcome to the forum Tom.
You don't say if your car is manual or auto, and to be honest I don't know if it makes a difference.
I know my 2.2 Manual HDI has Hill start assist and it works fine.
I think it gives around 3 seconds with the clutch in, and electric brake off, before it starts to drift back (or forwards I think).
Chuck "Hill start assist" in the search this forum box. There might be something in there.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Hill Start Assist isn't listed as available in the very early C5 brochures, though it is listed in the later brochures as avaialble on VTR+ Nav eHDi engines and Exclusive variants from (somewhere around) late 2009 onwards. That's not to say it wasn't fitted to some 2008 models (as in qprdude's), it's just not listed in the early brochures.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I have it on a early 2009 car, an Auto Exclusive.....works fine

If you post your VIN we can look it up for you.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
tom068674

Post by tom068674 »

Thanks for the welcome.
The transmission is AM6, automatic.
Cannot find any info in forum for my problem.
Model is an Exclusive, Owners handbook shows hill start assist features, so I think it is fitted.
The Hill start assist option is listed in the configuration and is set for 2 second delay.
Tom.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I remember I had to configure this on my car, maybe more than a year ago, for it to work ... was it BSI or AM6 gearbox, can't remember ... using DiagBox ... now, the hill assist works like the car is anchored ... it won't budge (going uphill or downhill) for indefinitely unless I press the gas pedal ... :D
tom068674

Post by tom068674 »

As the hill assist is controlled by the ABS/EPS dom't think the gearbox is involved.
Removed the central inertia/lateral sensor and Lexia shows movement when I move the sensor,
this gives errors I guess because the car is stationary.
of course it could still be defective, but no errors recorded when driving.
Tom.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It only works if you've got your foot on the brake first AFAIK - although I've never tried taking the handbrake off to see if it holds, but I suspect not, as as you say it holds it on the service brake - presumably by holding the solenoids on in the ABS block. The secondary contacts in the brake switch for the cruise can give trouble - does the cruise work properly?
Richard W
tom068674

Post by tom068674 »

When I said EPS I meant ESP.
Cruise and limiter work as expected.
Never use the electric handbrake, it always creeps forward or if the hill is steep enough just stands still.
Tom.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

RichardW wrote:It only works if you've got your foot on the brake first AFAIK
I'd like to see you try to shift the AT from P to anything else without it in the first place ... :D ... if you stop on the hill, you usually stop with the break ... the manual could be different, I don't know how the hill assist works on those
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

On my manual you can't let the electric brake off without depressing the foot pedal, so it's not possible to know if it works be releasing the handbrake only.
Rick.

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Park on an incline, foot on brake and release electronic brake. Foot off brake and wait, if it rolls back immediately the hill start assist doesn't work. If it stays still for 2 seconds and then rolls back it works. It can be turned off/on in vehicle parameters so always check there before assuming it doesn't work. The pedal also goes rock hard if you take your foot off the pedal and immediately put it back on while hill assist is activated.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
tom068674

Post by tom068674 »

Let me assure you its not working, thats a fact.
SaabC5 says it can be toggled on/off.
My info is that it cannot be turned off.
So can you tell me what vehicle parameters you are refering to, so that I can check status,
symptoms are just like it was switched off, so no errors or messages.
Tom.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Well it's not in any "Vehicle parameters" that I can find. I can change what doors the remote plip opens, "comfort entry/exit ", "Electric handbrake automatically engaged", daytime running lights, kerb lights, choice of metric or imperial info, but certainly no mention of hill start assist that can be turned on from the Vehicle parameters and lighting option switch. I'm assuming Saab c means by diag-box, unless my car is different.
I would be wary of the owners hand-book though. My downloaded version shows loads of different features, many of which are not standard, but dependent on the options available when the car left the factory. Exclusive X7's with full leather with massage facility and Sat Nav are as rare as hens teeth apparently, but they are included in the hand-book whether you have them or not.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

tom068674 wrote:The HSA should be available above a 3 degree inclination, according to Citroen specs.
I'm just discovering some extra details,the percentages (3% and 15%) are actually related to the electronic parking brake (and it's releasing), not the HSA feature ... I have a manual parking brake, and the HSA functions either way, so it's up to the BSI, gearbox, ESP and whatever else that actually regulates the movement of the car (without the parking break) ... will try to dig deeper on this