alternator belt failure, engine does not run on battery alon

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

alternator belt failure, engine does not run on battery alon

Post by Raul »

The alternator belt failed today on my Peugeot 205, so I removed the shredded belt completely and wanted to drive home. I have a xud diesel ( 1.9 td ) and I thought it should drive on battery alone without problems. After about 3 miles it starded to die , I managed to run about 3 more miles but I noticed that water temperature was climbing up - ca 110 celcius- and then it died completely. I waited for the engine to cool and tried to start it and it started but the exhaust gas was terrible and the engine run rough and had no idle. Is it possible that some of the shreds of the alternator belt reached to the tooth belt and it jumped a tooth or could it be that without alternator the stop solenoid does not work as it should causing this kind of behavior. The battery is in the boot in my car. What do you think?
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
BX
My Cars:

Re: alternator belt failure, engine does not run on battery

Post by BX »

From what you describe I think that the timing has jumped a tooth. Do not try to start the engine again as you might do more damage. If you are lucky there might not be any valve damage, but you need to be very lucky. If the battery was able to operate the starter it should be good enough to keep the engine running.
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

I removed the bottom pulley and found a shred from the alternator belt. So I am going to replace the belt. Last time I did it I had the engine off the car and even then getting the belt on was difficult. I just hope the valves did not meet the pistons - I remember I used the thickest gasket available. The engine also overheated badly so it is possible that the head is warped.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It might be worthwhile taking the head off as you are having to remove the cam belt anyway, you can then check for damaged valves and have the head checked for leakage and flatness. If you don't want to do this, fit a new belt and time it up and the see if its ejecting water from the overflow.

If there is a problem with the head there should still be a fair few secondhand ones knocking about.

Peter
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

I tried to time the engine and I found out that the flywheel and camshaft are correct and it seems that only the injection pump is off. So maybe luck is on my side this time if the head is not warped.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it only upset the pump timing you certainly wont have any valve damage but I am surprised it boiled because the injection timing was out. It would have to be very retarded to do that, so much so I would have thought it would have been difficult or impossible to start. You can occasionally get away with boiling it but those heads are very fragile.

Put it back together and see how it goes, if you have got head problems it will probably pressurise the cooling system almost immediately, if it does it could still just be the head gasket.

Hope it goes well.

Peter
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

The engine is running, a little bit rough and smokey on the start up but it was also that way before the cam belt failure. Maybe a little more smokey than before but I am not sure. One thing I noticed that my alternator belt started to shred again. When I swapped the 1.8 xud 7 for 1,9 td xud 9 then I saw that the latter had different timing belt covers but I did not swapped them over as I tought that it does not matter. But it seems that the current timing belt cover is not compatible with original peugeot 205 alternator setup and there is a friction between the bottom timing belt cover and the alternator belt. So I am looking for the solution and I am thinking of getting the pulley from the alternator of the zx and swap it to the original alternator of the peugeot 205. The zx has wider pulleys and so I can move the belt away from the engine. If the alternator pulleys have the same diameters then it should work out but I have not checked this yet. I would like to hear some comments from users who have had similar issues with this kind of engine swap( xud 7 to xud 9)
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982