Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI 75 Noise and Cam Followers

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

am_pcn
New User

Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI 75 Noise and Cam Followers

Post by am_pcn »

Evening Everyone,

We run a Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI 75 2010 with 93k miles. We had the van for about 2 1/2 years and it's always been serviced.

Out of the blue it started to make a odd tapping noise a few minutes after its started, no other symptoms.
We took it in to Peugeot dealer who suggested that they think it's down to the cam followers and suggested replacement of cam followers, the chain, a leaver and some other bits totalling £1700.

I'm trying to understand why and how this needs doing out of no where on a van that has always been serviced. The only thing that changed recently is the garage we used to use closed, so the last service was done elsewhere, I checked the invoice and can't see an engine flush detailed, this was always done in the past.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Ps: I should add we run other vans and this is the first time we had anything like this, it's also our first Peugeot.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDI 75 Noise and Cam Followers

Post by RichardW »

Pop the engine cover off and have a listen to the top of the engine - the injector seals fail, and the noise is just like a worn cam follower. If this is the case, then you may well smell exhaust fumes in the cabin as well.
Richard W
am_pcn
New User

Post by am_pcn »

Thanks for the reply.

We have never smelt any fumes in the cabin. I'll upload a video of the noise.

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Welcome to the forum.

Has the oil level dropped?

Does the tap noise:
-exist only at idle or does it continue when gradually revved up to and held at 3200 rpm?
-on the above test, does the note of the tap change?
-on the above test, does the note get louder, quieter or disappear?

From starting the van up from cold in the morning then driving off in usual driving conditions:
-is the tap consistent or does it come and go?
-does the note of the tap change?
-does the note get louder, quieter or disappear?

How long ago (in time and miles) was the van last serviced?
Could the incorrect oil have been used (maybe too thin?) and has caused parts to wear? (I'm no expert, this is just a theory!)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah, that sounds like low oil pressure at start up due to the sump strainer being blocked - is there a history of a new turbo being fitted?. I would drop the sump pronto, remove the oil pick up and rip the strainer out. Change the oil and filter, and then change the oil every 5-6k and it should be OK - although if you don't know for sure I would also remove the cat / DPF and pull the banjo bolt on the turbo oil feed, and remove the filter if it's still present - otherwise it might be good night turbo as well!
Richard W