Stuck pin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikehn

Stuck pin

Post by mikehn »

Hi all
Hoping someone has a clever idea to help me.
I am in the process of changing the boots on the rear suspension on a 1979 CX, problem is that I have a stuck pin on the ram, the drivers side slid out without a bother but the near side one is refusing to budge. I have sprayed loads of penetrating oil all around it, it did'nt respond to a pull, twisting or using a vice grips with a long screwdriver as a lever, it also didnt respond to various threats and swearing :-D
Any suggestions appreciated.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Stuck pin

Post by DickieG »

Heat might be the answer.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I'm afraid Mike, after my experiences with the Xantia, that it may just be hours and hours of trying different things to punch it out with.. I tried nails, punches, long punches. pulling twisting, plus gas again and again, couldn't drill as I couldn't get a drill in there. thied to remove the whole rear strut but the bolt and nut were too rusty.. thats a future nightmare job,. I think it took 2 or 3 days of concerted effort to get one pin out. You just have to persevere it will come out eventually.honest.
Good luck
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The bolt's not really a night mare - just lop the head off with an angle grinder, then push it out inwards. If it fouls something before it comes out, then 'just' cut it off behind the brake pipe, repeat till it comes free :-D
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Had the same problem with my C5 (I have also had it with CX's and XM's). You need to find a punch that is almost exactly the same diameter as the pin, if you don't hit the whole surface area it spreads and gets tighter. I have a set of parallel punches that I got from ebay for not much money and always having the correct one is worth its weight in gold.

Heat my help but you can't use very much because the housing is alloy.

Peter
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

mikehn wrote:Hi all
Hoping someone has a clever idea to help me.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Any suggestions?... strange as this may sound have you tried using 'brake fluid' as a penetrating oil...? its viscosity is basically so thin its capable of seeping into areas that an oil/lubricant (inc wd40 which i swear by) cannot penetrate.

When i heard someone suggest this for the first time i took it with a 'pinch of salt' so to speak but....these days i keep a spray bottle of (used) brake fluid to hand for anything that looks like its gonna be a :evil: to undo. It doesnt work everytime but weirdly it does seem to work although leaving the stubborn component to soak for as long as possible is obviously beneficial.
Music keeps me going.