Modutop. Should I?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

djoptix
My Cars: On road: Grand Espace 3.5 V6 (waft), Megane Coupé F4R (vroom), Bertie the Berlingo (Mrs Optix's).
In field: 1989/G BX 16v, 1988/F BX 16v
Historic: C5s, Synergies, AX 1.5d, Renault 4, 406 (of Satan) and a 106 (of Satan).

Modutop. Should I?

Post by djoptix »

I'm considering buying Mrs Optix a Blingo. I've found one which is an 04 plate 2.0 HDi (90bhp), with modutop, 144k on the clock, for £1500.

Questions:

1. In your esteemed opinions, is that a reasonable price?

2. Should I run away from anything with a Modutop? I've found plenty of people with leaking ones, but a lot praising the modutop and not mentioning any leaks... I suppose my question is, assuming that it doesn't leak now, what is the probability that it will? Certain given time? Or is it a lottery?

3. Perhaps most crucially, is there any way to tell if the Modutop is leaking now, apart from driving it in the rain for an extended period of time?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Modutop. Should I?

Post by vborovic »

I actually had to search to see what Modutop is ... :D ... we call it differently here ...

IMO, that's far to much space to put (potential) flying projectiles above your heads
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't know anything about them but I can say that the early Hdi engine is almost bomb proof as long as its had regular oil changes.

Peter
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I loved my modutop, the rest of the car was crap! 2.0 engine should be OK 1.6 not so. Old ones hold their prices well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
djoptix
My Cars: On road: Grand Espace 3.5 V6 (waft), Megane Coupé F4R (vroom), Bertie the Berlingo (Mrs Optix's).
In field: 1989/G BX 16v, 1988/F BX 16v
Historic: C5s, Synergies, AX 1.5d, Renault 4, 406 (of Satan) and a 106 (of Satan).

Post by djoptix »

The modutop is a one piece module that goes in the roof, it doesn't open like a sunroof but has five small windows in, and a load of cubby holes/storage. Ideal for travelling with the nippers - miniOptix and microOptix seem to need a lot of accessories.

Trouble is that it seems the bonding/seal around the edges of the modutop can break down, which lets water in. To get it properly fixed, the modutop has to be replaced, i.e. the old one has to be cut out of the roof of the car... such a difficult job that even dealers aren't allowed to do it. Effectively it would write the car off.

I don't mind sealing the odd bit here and there, but the internet suggests that it's not that easy.

Apart from that it looks like a reasonable buy...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I always sort of wanted one but never took the plunge.

From memory it takes the overall height above the 1.85m for normal Eurotunned check in - its no more money to go over 1.85 as long as its a car variant but fewer spaces. I was also doubtful if it would get under my up and over garage door (which does have a steep bump outside). Worth checking height against your needs and limitations.

I am a Blingo fan and would have one to replace the ageing Synergie, no need for 7 seats now, but Mrs Richard_C says they are ugly and she would never drive it.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I had a couple of Blingo's with Modutops, firstly despite the advertised heights they do fit into normal Eurotunnel trains :wink: I found the Modutops really made the car so much so that I wouldn't buy a Blingo without one, but having said that I bought them both from brand new and never had the issue with leaks which could change my opinion. Both of them rattled and squeaked quite a lot but I found the secret was to loosen the front end securing screws then wedge in a bracing piece of sound deadening/rubber between the CD holder and the roof sorted it out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Thats not quite true about the dealers not being allowed to replace modutop roofs however only a handfull of dealerships in the UK have the kit & have had the training to do the job. It's a BIG job to replace & the chances are if the car is more than a year or two out of warranty the car would be a write off.