C5 X7 not starting (again)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

C5 X7 not starting (again)

Post by qprdude »

Same problem as a couple of months ago. Starts for a split second then dies. Tried the multiple locking/unlocking of doors. Tried the battery disconnect. (several times) Checked the fuses, because someone had a similar problem which turned out to be the Air-con fuse) As I have just had a new condenser fitted I thought it might be worth a try. Changed the 13 amp glove box fuse and cleaned the 40amp blower fuse but that didn't work.
This is the third time I've had the problem, and the only fix I've had any success with is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so, reconnect, then lock the car and leave it for as long as possible (at least an hour, better overnight)without any further tries at starting. Seems to work OK (as it has this time) but a car that doesn't start is something I can't live with.
OK if it is in my drive, as I have two cars, but not at all amusing if it happens away from home.
Seriously thinking of looking around for a replacement.
Just finished giving it a good valet and it is just sooooo comfortable to drive and I love the way it looks, but I dread it not starting when I'm out and about with swimbo.

SWIMBO's Clio (My rescue car)
sitting next to the C5

Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C5 X7 not starting (again)

Post by RichardW »

You need to get it on a Lexia when it's misbehaving to see what the rail pressures etc are doing, and also comms with the ECU. Can't remember - did it have a new underbonnet fuse box?
Richard W
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

No Richard, no new fuse box. I did read about rail pressures somewhere, but surely this wouldn't sort it's self overnight? I feel it is electronics related. If I disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes , reconnect then try to start it, it won't start, but if I disconnect for a few minutes then leave the car overnight without attempting to start it, next morning, it fires up instantly. As you say, it needs to be on a diag-box while the fault is there, but they seem to be thin on the ground for the X7 and getting it to a garage is not possible, given the problem.
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What are you doing this Tuesday or Wednesday? That is my weekend (I work Saturday and Sunday), and I have a Lexia running Diagbox v7.15 (and I live in Reading, so not too far away). Mind you, I am not that knowledgeable with it, so it is more likely we will read off what it finds, and then post it up here for expert advise!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Swimbo's birthday on Tuesday and we have visitors on Wednesday I think. They are at LEGOLAND for a visit from Aberdeen and are calling in then. Problem is, the car is now running like a dream James. It's a great offer but probably the wrong time for me to disappear to Reading.
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Who said anything about you coming to Reading? I am prepared to head your way (especially as you have a somewhat temperamental car)! Even if the car is currently behaving itself, it is possible the Lexia could find logged faults.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Sounds like an excellent offer. I haven't a clue about Lexia but I know where to plug it in (I think). Wednesday could be the best day for me as I've been in touch with my visitors and I think they are OK with me working at the car. May have to go out later in the afternoon though. That's quite a run from Reading to Woking and back so the fuel will certainly be on me, and a drink (or more)for your kind offer .
I've only seen a lexia session once before, at Chris Morewoods house in Aberdeenshire.
Rick.

mad_at_french_cars
Locked user account

Post by mad_at_french_cars »

I have used James's Lexia/Diagbox diagnostic set-up on my C4 and I would suggest using Diagbox rather than Lexia. It's much the same - pretty self explanatory, but "better". You'll see what I mean..
TURDS!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, I thought it had to be diag-box for the X7, don't know anything about the "pin" configuration etc for connecting it but the socket is in the centre storage box.
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Reading to Woking is only 30 miles (I used to go to Guildford daily), so that isn't a problem. The pin configuration is the same for Lexia and Diagbox, as the cars have the same pin layout in the sockets (it is just the software that has changed).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
mad_at_french_cars
Locked user account

Post by mad_at_french_cars »

qprdude wrote:Yes, I thought it had to be diag-box for the X7, don't know anything about the "pin" configuration etc for connecting it but the socket is in the centre storage box.
I'm not sure if it has to be or not. Lexia had issues with odd behaviour on the C4 (same connector, same place) but Diagbox was absolutely fine - James has both on his machine, it runs well. Diagbox, IMO, is a much better piece of software than Lexia ever was anyway. You'll have no problems..
TURDS!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The Lexia is perfectly fine with the C5x7.....it has no problems for me.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Hope we can find the cause of the non starting problem, or at least a clue, but it will be good to see what the read-out is anyway.
I really don't want to change the car as I can't find anything better on the market that is affordable.
My boss indoors thinks we should be a one car family, and economically, she is right, but I just can't give up the supreme comfort of the X7. It's too big for her to drive, hence the Renault Clio, but I dread the the journey to Aberdeen in a small car. Going back to a Jag isn't an option because of the running costs and the only one within my budget now is an X type, which isn't my favourite anyway.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

You will know more after it has been read, anything else is gust guessing atm.

A starting problem can be sorted I am sure.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Had a mark one with the same type of fault, sorry to say I got rid before I sorted the problem, I thought it was a fuel supply issue as it would not pressurise the system while cranking, after checking the power supply to the pump out was not getting power, if I 'hot-wired' the pump it would work. However giving it some thought since and reading about other problems on other Citroëns may I suggest you check and clean all the earth's. Another thing to check would be the cranking voltage
Good luck
Stu

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi