Help with choosing a diag scanner for a C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moenbeer
My Cars:

Help with choosing a diag scanner for a C5

Post by moenbeer »

Hi all

My family-in-law gav me their old Citroen C5 HDI 2.0 aut. from 2004, since selling it would be to much of a hassel. ( to much to fix )

I works fine, except the Service lamp is on, and there is something wrong with the Anti-polution system. And sometimes the gearbox don't seem to engage the first gear.... I will control the fluid level later this week. And there is only one key for the car without remote. So i have to manual lock/unlock the car.

I bought a Haynes manual for it.. But I still need a diag scanner to read and reset codes, when I do service/fault findings. So I need a more capable scanner like the service shops use. Since I will be doing all service on the car by myself.

I can't really find any diag tool who seems to support a C5 HDI fra 2004. But it seems to have a EODB ( ODB-II ) plug. So I guess it's ODB-II compliant? Maybe?

So i've found this tool... Lexia 3 Tester, which should be able to do all the stuff that a Certified Service shop does. And right now it's on a 50% sale. Only 150£ instead of 300£. Can anybody verifiy if this will work with a C5 HDI 2.0 from 2004? don't want a lot of money on a tool that won't work with my car.....

And one more thing.. According the Haynes manual, the Gearbox should have it's own diag cpu.... Does it required another diag tool specific for that.. Or are alle the codes read from the one and only ODB plug in the drivers position?

Thanks in advance and for any kind of tips and tricks.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Help with choosing a diag scanner for a C5

Post by xantia_v6 »

Welcome to the forum!

The Lexia 3 is the only diag tool that will work with all of the systems on the C5 It needs a PC running Windows 32 bit. Some generic tools work OK with the engine ECU but not much else.
The Lexia interface tools available for sale are all made in china clones of the genuine tool, most work OK, but some don't, so try to buy from a seller with good reputation.
The Lexia will communicate OK with the automatic transmission.

Where are you located?
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

xantia_v6 wrote:Welcome to the forum!

The Lexia 3 is the only diag tool that will work with all of the systems on the C5 It needs a PC running Windows 32 bit. Some generic tools work OK with the engine ECU but not much else.
The Lexia interface tools available for sale are all made in china clones of the genuine tool, most work OK, but some don't, so try to buy from a seller with good reputation.
The Lexia will communicate OK with the automatic transmission.

Where are you located?
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I'm happy to know that the Lexia 3 is the tool to go for. Sofar I got a Danish seller of automotive tools. He's the one with the 150£ offer.. http://toolsproffen.dk/franske-biler/pe ... ester.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But in denmark everything is more expensive. So I can maybe get the tool cheaper in UK or DE.

Found this guy in UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP-PLANET-LEX ... 4aebe56984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - But at 70£ this just seems to be too good....

And this in Germany: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lexia-3-Diagnose ... 3aad383180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only a few £ cheaper than the Danish seller.

Btw I'm located in Denmark - Copenhagen.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I and a number of other members on here have bought from http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and had good service from the proprietor Jim.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I note that the ebay UK guy has sold previous Lexia 3s offered at £70 or best offer and has accepted best offers.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

DickieG wrote:I and a number of other members on here have bought from http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and had good service from the proprietor Jim.
Nice, But it's sold out.. But seems like a good place to buy. With the lates SW and revisions. :(

Fund a few more sellers. Funny how everybody writes that Lexia 3 covers C1, C2, C3, C4, C6, C8, C-Crosser, NEMO, BERLINGO, JUMPY, JUMPER, AX, SAXO, BX and Peugeot... But never the C5 ???

Its there a speciel revision, software version I have to look for in order to get support for a C5?

And there seems to be a big variation in price... From only 50£ and up to 120£. Are the cheap one older versions, or cheap china junk that one should avoid?

http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wants 119£ with new SW on a USB stick and a Rev. C board. DIAGBOX 7.65 with 32 bit win 8 ( sold out )

And I found a another Danish shop.. He claims that his Software is the newest ( Lexia 3 v48 pp2000 v25 Diagbox v7.19 ) with Lexia 3 Citroen & Peugeot Diagnostik Tool Version V7.04 with support for Peugeot 307 & Citroen C5, 32 bit Win 8 - Price 120£

And finnaly http://www.cardiag.co.uk/lexia-3-lexia3 ... t-307.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Price 54£ ? but it will only run on a old XP machine? :?:

Im so confused :shock:
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; got the Lexia 3 again. - So order it from him. Only a few more £ expensive than the Danish dealer, but it's rev 7.65 vs 7.19, so it's newer.

Thanks for all the feedback sofar... Can't want to get my hands on it and try it out. :)
The Ace
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6THP Prestige
Ford Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost Titanium

Post by The Ace »

The newer version would make a difference if you had a X7 C5, since only the latest version will connect properly to its OBD (and for the 308, I think). That's why you see everyone mentioning every model EXCEPT the C5, because they refer to the X7 model...

Glad you found the latest one at such a good price though :wink:
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

The Ace wrote:The newer version would make a difference if you had a X7 C5, since only the latest version will connect properly to its OBD (and for the 308, I think). That's why you see everyone mentioning every model EXCEPT the C5, because they refer to the X7 model...

Glad you found the latest one at such a good price though :wink:
Well that explanes a lot... First time ever I had to buy a computer tool for a car. - I'm used to Carbs and 1 gen. k jetronic injection systems. Now i need a laptop to fix a car and not a screwdriver... #-o
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

well according to the Diag tool... there are NO errors.....

But the service lamp is still on, and the error about the anti-polution system..... Why oh why? - I can reset the service lamp.. But where to look for the anti-polution error? since the computer can't find any faults. - Bad wire somewhere or a loose vaccum hose?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Are you sure there are no faults recorded?
The Lexia interface isn't very intuitive - you need to run a 'global test' to find out if there's anything against any of the ECUs.
It's very unusual to find nothing at all - there a usually a few random temporary faults, especially on the first test.
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

is it communicating with the ecus or just running through really fast and no comms if so ecu is not being picked up.
Darren