help trying to find a spring and buy in pair needed?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dei9
My Cars:

help trying to find a spring and buy in pair needed?

Post by dei9 »

Hi all, so I need to buy a spring for my car, EuroCarpParts is the only place I can find one (at £47 each). Looking at ebay it all seems vague as to whether it fits my car which is the xsara in my signature. Has anyone got any good suppliers of this spring and also the top bearing mount?

Also I know suspension parts need replacing in pairs, but when it comes to springs does it matter so much? It's not mismatched tyre, a new damper against an old one, etc. What is the overall opinion?

Thanks all.
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: help trying to find a spring and buy in pair needed?

Post by chinkostu »

Try carparts4less, same company as ECP but all online and worse postage!

I'd do the pair, i had both springs snap within months of each other
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

I can see/feel a break towards the top of the rattling side, and checking the other spring it sits in a weird way as if it's been all over the place. A pair it is! What happened there I DO NOT KNOW, I guess it needs the bearings too.

LOL... they've copied ECP! Funny! I'll stick to ECP since a quick google search could get me a discount code!
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

they're basically a sister company to ECP, no same day delivery and uses slower UPS postage so the prices are cheaper. All online helpdesks too.

they're £35.28 each on GSF, AEP has them for £80! (no thanks!)

top bearings are £15 each.

not got any small motor factors nearby? i found they were suprisingly cheaper for some things

servicebox lists the same 2 springs for the 306, xsara, partner and berlingo, so i'm not sure why they're so expensive if they're pretty much used across the board
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Always do springs in pairs, you would be mad not to, if one has broken the other is usually not far behind it.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There used to be a firm called 'Wigan Road Springs' don't know if they still exist. They used to make up springs for my diesel conversions but this was a few years ago. Brilliant firm.

Peter
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Disagree about changing in pairs. Nearside and offside springs are subject to totally different stress. In reality, in the UK, the nearside spring will get a bit more torture than the offside generally. It depends on driving style and loading too, as well as where you live, if you have speed-bumps or lots of potholes.
Just my opinion of course, but I've changed a few springs in my time, and always just the broken one. Can't say I've ever had the other side go in a short period of time. In fact I've never had two springs break on a car. I'm just a tad careful with the old filthy Lucre and don't see the point in replacing a perfectly serviceable spring "just in case".
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
mad_at_french_cars
Locked user account

Post by mad_at_french_cars »

qprdude wrote:Disagree about changing in pairs. Nearside and offside springs are subject to totally different stress. In reality, in the UK, the nearside spring will get a bit more torture than the offside generally. It depends on driving style and loading too, as well as where you live, if you have speed-bumps or lots of potholes.
Just my opinion of course, but I've changed a few springs in my time, and always just the broken one. .
Same here. Never changed a pair. So far my car has had 2 nearside ones and no offside ones..
TURDS!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I look at it this way - if it was a warranty job* to replace a broken spring, would they replace the not-broken one as well ?
*- If it was a Citroen warranty job, they'd probably tell you that springs aren't covered :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Unless you have had your car from new, you really have no idea how many hours/miles your springs have done.
Unless you have a bill stating the springs have been previously changed as a pair (highly unlikely) then as far as you know, one spring could be a year old with 5,000 miles done, and the other could be 5 years old with 25,000 miles done.
I have has a spring changed under warranty and the garage just laughed when I asked if they were going to change the other side too.
It's just not logical unless you 100% KNOW the springs are the same age . IE if you bought the car brand new.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Measure them, a soft spring will shorten.....BUT......you have to take them both off to do that and they could still be a differing grade anyway...

Always Change Both if an unknown age/make
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My daughters astra needed a nearside rear spring last year for its test. A very trusted mechanic told me just replace the broken one as they can break after 10 miles or after 1000000 miles for no reason. So we just changed the one.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Having worked in the steel / engineering for 20 years, I find it incredible that anyone would think that two pieces of spring steel should be changed when one piece breaks. As I said, one could be a few months old, and the other a few years. I suspect the "change them both" fallacy started from spring manufacturers as there is no scientific evidence that because one spring breaks, the other will do the same within a short period of time.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am not talking about the spring failing, on the front under sudden compressive force, they can if not a matched spring rate, make the car unsettled as they will compress thru their resistance grade points at differing rates.
Are you saying you would not do both on the rear of a Tow Car for instance ?...

I agree the problem is very much less on the rear of a normal everyday 1/2 passenger daily driver, I would most likely cut that corner.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Changing them in pairs ? brakes and shocks, definitely springs, no, springs are often broken by a pothole, why replace the one that missed it ? the exception might be leaf springs if theres significant wear.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.