Xantia LHM pump begining to sweat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MFHBlueberry
My Cars: C5 Estate VTR - Teriffic machine. I wish it weren't so complicated though.
Xantia 1.9td Mk1 - Owned for 8 years, loved it to bits. RIP
Land Rover Series 1 - Owned for 19 years, ditto.
Triumph Herald 1200 - Owned for 21 years but in desperate need of a restoration. Spare lottery win anyone?

Xantia LHM pump begining to sweat

Post by MFHBlueberry »

I'm sure this must have been covered somewhere before so if anyone could direct me to the relevent topic I'd be grateful.

Otherwise, my xantia's lhm pump is begining to show signs of age. I've owned the car since 2009 and done 40,000 miles since then and when I bought the car it had recently had a recon pump fitted. I can't find a reciept so cannot know exactly when this was done.

How long do they generally last? How soon will it become a real problem?

There are no drips from it, but I recently cleaned up the damp looking pulley and surrounding areas before doing a 250 mile round trip to Bristol and the pulley is oily again along with the cambelt cover etc.

I'm due a new aux belt and my tensioner pulley's are begining to make noises too, so perhaps I should just replace the pump whilst I'm at it? Any tips regarding this exercise?

Many thanks as always in advance.

Matthew.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Xantia LHM pump begining to sweat

Post by rory_perrett »

That doesn't sound that good, but then recons can be of variable quality. I've had 4 Xantias which have done, 140K, 225K, 322K and 195K (current one) miles respectively and I've not changed a LHM pressure pump yet. They've never been pristine, always a bit oily which then attracts the dirt so I would say all of them have seeped a bit but never enough that they formed drips or caused me to need to top up the LHM reservoir with any regularity.

Trouble is it is always the worry that one day it might let go big time and dump all the LHM and of course this is bound to be at the most inconvenient time and place possible. With it affecting the pulley, cam belt cover and presumable potentially the auxiliary belt your "seepage" does sound to be more significant than that that I have experienced. Perhaps it is time to consider another change.
MFHBlueberry
My Cars: C5 Estate VTR - Teriffic machine. I wish it weren't so complicated though.
Xantia 1.9td Mk1 - Owned for 8 years, loved it to bits. RIP
Land Rover Series 1 - Owned for 19 years, ditto.
Triumph Herald 1200 - Owned for 21 years but in desperate need of a restoration. Spare lottery win anyone?

Post by MFHBlueberry »

I have never needed to top mine up, as yet anyway... I've just noticed the wetness of on the pulley and surrounding areas because I've been keeping an eye on that area because of a noisy tensioner pulley and aging aux belt. I've been thinking about replacing them lately as they're coming up for 30,000 miles. Would be foolish not to replace them pump at the same time if it's beginning to go. It seems to be an easy enough job.

It turns out GSF no longer stock LHM pumps despite what their website might suggest, but they can get them to order from FPS. I'll most likely go down that route in the coming months.
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

There is a topic about changing the O-rings and front seal (maybe the sweating is from there) of the hydraulic pump. Mine was dripping from the O-rings around the main metal pipes, but now it is OK.
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P