206 gearbox or driveshaft fault ????

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

206 gearbox or driveshaft fault ????

Post by imperial21 »

Hi All
I have a question about a 1.1 2001 206.
I have changed the clutch, after i have now noticed a problem With the car jacked up the o/s (driverside) drive shaft is not turning as it should. its sort lumpy,and it turns but stops and starts every so often ?
I am wondering if the center drive shaft isnt right ? It was seized in its housing but after some persuation it came out !! or could it be the gearbox diff ?
I am considering replacing the driveshaft but want to see if anyone has seen this before as its a load of faff having to remove the driveshaft and drain the gearbox oil again.
I dont know what the car was like before as i bought the car with the clutch gone as a project.......
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
speedy3
My Cars: 2000 scenic 1.6 sport alize
2003 clio 1.2 dynamique

Re: 206 gearbox or driveshaft fault ????

Post by speedy3 »

hi I know these suffer with the planet gears exploding in the diff if its been abused
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

How does it drive with the wheels on the ground?
With it jacked up, and in gear (engine stopped), do both front wheels turn fairly freely?
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I havent driven it much just for mot and back, I thought the gear leaver was wobbling a bit more than expected, which made me think it was shuddering .
I will jack it up tomorrow and spin in gear, in neutral spining the wheel i would say the passenger wheel spins more freely.
i noticed that if you spin it one direction it does it once then seemed ok then i spin the other direction it will do it again ??
I will also tomorrow try jacking the car up and on axle stands then jack the lower arm up a bit and see if the angle change helps.
I have sprayed some penetrating oil on the centre bearing to see if that imroves it.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

penetrating oil on the bearing wil dry it out! It's possible the spring inside the joint in the centre of the shaft has displaced and is tangling with the driveshaft spider. Take the shaft out and check the centre joint
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi
been a while i have left the car in the sin bin in the garden but its time to look at it again, How easy is the clip/spring to get at ? could it be looked at while in situ ?