Xantia Fuel Filler locked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smk123

Xantia Fuel Filler locked

Post by smk123 »

For some reason the fuel filler cap won't open. I didn't even know the car had a fuel filler lock as it never appeared to work but i put the deadlocks on the other night and now that i've got no petrol decided to fill up only to find the flap would not open. I've stripped the inside down and felt up toward the flap electrics but can only feel the wires and there is no sign of a cable to pull or a motor etc. Is there any other way to get the flap open short of getting a sharp blade and attempting to cut the restricting bar/wire off??[V]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi, the filler emergency release can be operated from inside the removable panel in the boot/rear. It is not easy to see but it is there. Alternatively try a good shot of WD40 into the left hand edge and keep trying to lock unlock to see if it frees. The lock is plastic on mine and the channel it fits into rusts a bit and it sticks. If you get it open plenty of oil and grease is needed.
Good luck, R
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

A flat blade putting leverage on the locking bolt as the car is locked/unlocked can give it the extra force needed to open.
I did this on mine and a while later the body coloured trim on the flap 'disappeared' on my ususal journey to work so be careful not to disturb it.
mipster
cleaner

Post by cleaner »

I'd go for that WD-40 shot myself. My lock is made of metal and it was so rusty that it wouldn't lock at all. After the oily treatment it's as good as new.
smk123

Post by smk123 »

?Have tried the WD but to no avail even tried a thin screwdriver to try and push back in. Have removed the boot panel but can find no button to press mine is a 96, 1.8 16v have felt in the recess and can detect the 2 wires going to what feels like a rubber grommet but can not feel anything else in the vicinity.
Its always the most simple things that cause the greatest headache at least its good for the post christmas fitness regime as now having to walk everywhere till i can put some fuel in!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi, I can only really comment on my own Xantia which is a 97. It has a pull cable to release the filler. Or that is what it says in the book!!!!!
Can you get a meter to any connections to check for power?
I suppose I should go and check my own car for this one. R.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

<i>Have removed the boot panel but can find no button to press mine </i>
I was keeping quiet (feeling sheepish [8)]) but I coldn't find one either!
I thought it was a pull string though,
mipzter
smk123

Post by smk123 »

Have solved the issue but is was a pain.
found the motor located under the wheel arch plastic trim. It was connected to fuel filler cap by a short piece of metal. Had to use a very long screwdriver and pry it back then tried to do the central locking with the flap open only to find it stick again. only answer was to undo the bolt holding the motor and totally remove it. now can put petrol in but can nt lock the flap.
Not eveything is perfect in the world!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

As far as I am aware a locking filler cap is needed for the MOT so you might get a fail on it.
Then again maybe the tester won't check it.
johntheshop

Post by johntheshop »

A quck and dirty way to get in to your filler flap is to prise off the coloured plastic cover which reveals the plastic frame behind. Prise the frame away from the lock slightly and use a thin spanner to undo the lock retaining nut. Once the nut is undone the lock falls to oblivion inside the wing where you can retrieve it and try to give it a reprieve or just chuck it and think there is on less electrical citroen problem to deal with. I have been fuel lockless for 5 years to no problems from MOT man.
I am a very happy xiantia owner having covered 250000 miles in my TD so happy infact when I put it in for MOT before christmas I summed up the cost of what I thought would be wrong and bought a mint car instead for 600 quid. Trouble was when I finally put the car in for MOT the bloody car passed again with no problems so the missus is now the new xiantia driver. I have a blue one she has a green one. We look like bill and ben.
I smile when I read all these forum responces as it seems I have suffered all of the problems mentioned over the last 6 years. I thought it was just me! Best car I've owned tho and cheap as chips.