2001 Xsara 1.4 etrol Timing Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

2001 Xsara 1.4 etrol Timing Belt

Post by doctle »

Hi Again Guys
I'm looking at buying a 2001 Xsara 1.4 petrol, car looks ok needs a clutch but it's very cheap. There's no history on the timing belt so I will have to change it if I buy however it seems I need a special plate to compress the valves to fit the belt properly. Is there any way around this? The tool costs as much as the car.

Paul
Oh buggle
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: 2001 Xsara 1.4 etrol Timing Belt

Post by Lighty »

1.4 TU engine is very easy to replace the belt on, you can makeshift a tool , a piece of copper brake pipe will locate the crank locking hole, and I think an M 10 or 12 bolt for the camshaft.
There is no compressing of springs req for any cambelt change, unless I have read your question incorrectly .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
doctle

Post by doctle »

Lighty wrote:1.4 TU engine is very easy to replace the belt on, you can makeshift a tool , a piece of copper brake pipe will locate the crank locking hole, and I think an M 10 or 12 bolt for the camshaft.
There is no compressing of springs req for any cambelt change, unless I have read your question incorrectly .
Hi,

I was reading the procedure for the TU3 engine in a Haynes manual. It says to remove the rocker cover and install the valve spring tensioning tool when tensioning the belt. here's a link to the tool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-TOOLS-3 ... 233420bf47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't have an electronic tension gauge either but I'm thinking the 90 degree twist would be ok?

Thanks

Paul
Oh buggle
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I would forget the Haynes manual , no idea why they are referring to this tool, have a look at this video, not in English, but the video is clear enough
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
doctle

Post by doctle »

Lighty wrote:I would forget the Haynes manual , no idea why they are referring to this tool, have a look at this video, not in English, but the video is clear enough
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfect thank you!
Oh buggle
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I've done more of these TU belts than I can even remember & I've never even seen that tool. Definitely no need to take the rocker cover off either.
doctle

Post by doctle »

wheeler wrote:I've done more of these TU belts than I can even remember & I've never even seen that tool. Definitely no need to take the rocker cover off either.
Thank you for the info and sorry for the late reply. Yes belt was easy to change without the tool or seem gauge. I used to only buy VAG cars the amount of special tools you need is considerable.
Oh buggle