2002 Citroen C5 AC issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

realsweden
New User

2002 Citroen C5 AC issue

Post by realsweden »

Hello all,

A while back, I had a common issue with the AC on my C5. On the driver's side, whatever temperature setting I chose, I only got hot air, even in AC mode. The problem is known and it was solved by replacing a small motor. After that, everything works fine on my side.

Now, I'm having a simillar issue, but on the passenger's side... It might be the same faulty motor (this time, on the other side), but there is one diference. On the passenger side, the temperature works fine in ventilation mode. If it's set to lower temperature, it blows colder air, if it is set to high temperature, it blows hot air.

But when I turn the AC on, only the driver's side gets refrigerated... On the passenger's side, you don't get that cold feeling that AC should provide. It just blows air.

The way I see it, the motor is working fine because it commutes between hot and cold air. But it seems that something is missing... That something should be allowing cold (refrigerated) air to move to the passenger's vents, and that is not happenning.

Has anyone experienced this before (I hope I made myself clear)?

Thanks in advance.
Marco
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 2002 Citroen C5 AC issue

Post by wheeler »

it may be that the flap is not actually moving all the way to the coldest position, I would remove the motor & see if you can manually turn the flap to the fully cold position.
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

It could also be lack of refrigerant in the AC system which would mean that only part of the evaporator gets cold hence only on one side.
To check this remove the pollen filter and then with the engine running and AC on check with your hand inside where the pollen filter sits to see if the whole of the evaporator is cold or just one side.
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

hamster99 wrote:It could also be lack of refrigerant in the AC system which would mean that only part of the evaporator gets cold hence only on one side.
That is a rather unusual theory, It seems to me that it breaks the laws of thermodynamics. Have you seen this on a C5 (or anything else)?
An easier test would be to check the temperature of the return pipe from the evaporator to the compressor. if it is cold (less than about 5 degrees), then the refrigeration system is OK.
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

xantia_v6 wrote: That is a rather unusual theory, It seems to me that it breaks the laws of thermodynamics. Have you seen this on a C5 (or anything else)?
Nope, not experienced this myself, just re-posting advice I remember reading in a previous forum topic on AC.
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015