Berlingo Temp Sensor Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jono_h

Berlingo Temp Sensor Issues

Post by jono_h »

Hoping for some advice on my 2004 1.4 petrol Berlingo. Some of you may have seen my woes over on Berlingoforums.

What started off as a simple repair to the relay connector on the fan relay, has turned into a nightmare. I have ended up with a van where the temperature gauge is consistently in the red, the stop warning comes on, and the fan runs continuously.

From what I can make out the green sensor controls the gauge and feeds into the ECU. This being faulty would explain the high temp gauge and possibly the poor start / idle.
The blue sensor controls the fan and stop warning. This being faulty would explain the stop warning and the continuously running fan.

But what are the chances of both sensors developing a fault at exactly the same time? Additionally, unplugging the sensors, in any combination, makes no difference - I had thought that disconnecting the blue sensor would cause the fan to stop running.

Is my understanding of how the 2 sensors operate correct?
Could a fault in one sensor actually cause all of the above issues?
Is there any other part or component that I can check, that is connected to the sensors, that may have developed a fault?

Many thanks, Jon.
jono_h

Re: Berlingo Temp Sensor Issues

Post by jono_h »

All sorted so a quick update in case anyone else comes across this thread in the future.

I used this Youtube video to help test the green sensor -
Had 5volts at the connector, and the resistance reduced as it heated up, so all seemed OK.
I took out the blue sensor, confirmed that it had 5 volts at the connector, and then heated it up to make it switch. Again all OK.

When I re-fitted the sensors and connectors I, slightly bent the pins to ensure that they'd make contact when re-connected.

Lo and behold everything is OK. Either a dodgy connection, or a grumpy ECU which needed a certain number of starts to clear itself of a phantom code (which has happened before)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Berlingo Temp Sensor Issues

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done. Something you might want to try is proper contact cleaner, and a toothbrush. That should shift any dirt.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!