MikeT's C5r 1.6 hdi Estate

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

MikeT's C5r 1.6 hdi Estate

Post by MikeT »

Today I took posession of a 2005 C5 1.6 Estate with under 70K on the clock. It wasn't in the red I wished for (it's just a grey like every other car out there which I'm sure will provide much merryment in large car parks) but it does have towbar. electrics, roof bars and a dog guard.

It also comes with it's acquired faults, like the tailgate loom almost competely severed and remote fobs not working. No doubt other hidden surprises await me.

So after reading the handbook I thought I'd try getting the remotes working. The handbook instructions weren't enough, so tested the fob batteries and they are as new, Previous owner (almost a year to the day) said the fobs never worked for him. Service history shows he paid for a new cranking battery 9months ago so could the BSI have got in a muddle?

Image
Last edited by MikeT on 15 Jul 2017, 16:19, edited 2 times in total.

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

I tried the BSI reset procedure but still the remote fobs aren't working. Moving on.

One thing that puzzles me is the handbook says it will go into economy mode after 30mins but I'm sure mine occurs in just 5, maybe 10mins. Does this mean there's another problem to be solved? The battery seems good (it was new 9 months ago and had a good recharge run down here yesterday to be delivered.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 9296
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 378

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by RichardW »

Assume the keys will start the engine? if so, it should be possible just to re-synch the remote part of the keys by pressing the lock button immediately after turning the ignition on. If not, and you've got a Lexia and the key code, you could try re-learning the keys, and doing the re-synch at the same time.

Economy mode is a bit of a black art.... early cars were time based, some may monitor the battery, and later ones use a time based relationship - ie 1 min driving only gives 1min before Eco kicks in (up to 30 mins).

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

RichardW wrote:Assume the keys will start the engine? if so, it should be possible just to re-synch the remote part of the keys by pressing the lock button immediately after turning the ignition on. If not, and you've got a Lexia and the key code, you could try re-learning the keys, and doing the re-synch at the same time.

Economy mode is a bit of a black art.... early cars were time based, some may monitor the battery, and later ones use a time based relationship - ie 1 min driving only gives 1min before Eco kicks in (up to 30 mins).
Tried the remote re-sync procedure too many times to no avail and last night, even tried the BSI reset and still the fobs would not re-sync after.
However, today I tried BSI reset again and voila, both fobs are now re-synchronised! 8-)

The Eco mode is going to be a right PITA as it not only kills the radio but the windows too. I tend to sit at a local beauty spot, window open, listening to radio for up to an hour or so, surely there must be a workaround as the only option is to start the car and that's counter-productive to saving the battery.

While I'm blowing my own trumpet, I'll just add to this blog the other repairs I've effected.

The tailgate wiring has been butchered, repaired and fallen apart. As such, the tailgate has to be opened from the inside and when it is opened, the rear wipe activates a few times. After splicing and soldering in patch leads and making good the connections, I've restored the opening from the outside and the wiper no longer runs and the interior lights work too. What still doesn't work is the glass opening though I can hear a click when I squeeze the button.

After this and the BSI reset saga, I ran the Global tests on the Lexia then cleared down all the faults. I'll do a re-read after the car's covered some miles.

Talking of miles, anyone know if I can change the lexia from Km's to miles? It's very confusing.

Online
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 18439
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 1113

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by myglaren »

MikeT wrote: The Eco mode is going to be a right PITA as it not only kills the radio but the windows too. I tend to sit at a local beauty spot, window open, listening to radio for up to an hour or so, surely there must be a workaround as the only option is to start the car and that's counter-productive to saving the battery.

While not ideal, would one of these suffice?

I have had one for ages, just runs all the time hooked into a proper stereo, just turn on the amp for music. I don't use the radio part personally but it is there should it ever be required.
It can be powered from the central socket that is not affected by economy mode.

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

myglaren wrote:
MikeT wrote: The Eco mode is going to be a right PITA as it not only kills the radio but the windows too. I tend to sit at a local beauty spot, window open, listening to radio for up to an hour or so, surely there must be a workaround as the only option is to start the car and that's counter-productive to saving the battery.

While not ideal, would one of these suffice?

I have had one for ages, just runs all the time hooked into a proper stereo, just turn on the amp for music. I don't use the radio part personally but it is there should it ever be required.
It can be powered from the central socket that is not affected by economy mode.
I have an alternative "radio" if need be Steve. In fact, I carry enough "gadets" as it is... thankfully the C5 comes with three power sockets built-in
And that still leaves me having to crank the engine should I need/wish to close the window. I'll have a thunk about it later as I need to get the "1.6HDI relative issues" sorted asap.

Not to mention the learning curve of a new/different car. The thing's posessed, not only does it annoy by turning everything off, when you're driving it wants to do the opposite. :lol:

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

Removing roof bars:

The car has what look like Citroen roof rails fitted

Image

and across those are fitted what look like universal roof bars which seems to require a special socket/tool to remove.

Image

I see no makers name and have no idea what this tool is called. I've offered up some sacrificial sockets with a view to hammering them on but none seem to want to fit snugly. Any ideas on how I can remove these bars?

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 9296
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 378

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by RichardW »


wurlycorner
Posts: 1402
Joined: 30 Oct 2012, 23:37
x 59

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by wurlycorner »

That's just a splined shaft like you'll find on all kinds of things (steering columns, wiper arms, domestic taps etc.)
Have a look through the rs and farnell catalogues and you might find something to suit?

You might find a car window winder handle would fit, but I expect they're a rather more 'coarse' spline than that? Possible a wiper arm, if you can cut away the plastic around the shaft end?

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

Like the sockets I tried, the splines being flush means whatever tool is used, it has to be narrow-walled to fit inside the recess. I popped into local halfords on the off-chance they might at least recognise the make but no joy. I'm confident they're not Citroen bars but can still ask them next time I'm passing.

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

Update, think I found maker. VW. Looks very much like this one http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... st65111070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

I called the previous owner on the off-chance they have the tool and he did but lent it to a mate who never returned it. He's going to ask for it back and post it on to me if successful - what chance, eh?

In the meantime, I re-ran lexia tests and the following faults are still showing;

Radio - Permanent fault auxiliary input no1 (F905)

Passenger Door Module - Door mirror heating output (FC0E)

Injection - Permanent fault pre-heating relay circuit. Relay supplied and plugs never supplied (P1351)

Engine Relay unit - ECU not recognised, check your choice.

Suspension - Permanent fault, no communciation with steering wheel angle sensor. Incorrect value recieved.

MikeT
Posts: 4838
Joined: 11 Jun 2007, 16:17
x 186

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by MikeT »

Not wanting to assume but if the lack of comments are an indication of a lack of knowledge I best add what I've discovered about the last fault listed above - the steering wheel angle sensor. I'm not overly concerned about the other faults at this point.

There's a re-calibration option in the lexia sub-menus (which I've yet to find) and requires a specific procedure to be followed which involves first driving the car dead-straight-ahead for 100 meters.

User avatar
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016
Posts: 10005
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 22:05
x 734

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by Stickyfinger »

Shoot me, but like the glow plug warning on the 2ltrsHDI, is that not one that always just gets ignored with not effect on a C5 ?....

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
Posts: 9296
Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 17:12
x 378

Re: MikeT's C5r 1.6 Estate

Post by RichardW »

>Radio - Permanent fault auxiliary input no1 (F905)

No idea, if it does what you want ignore it!

>Passenger Door Module - Door mirror heating output (FC0E)

Presumably the glass has been changed for a non heated one

>Injection - Permanent fault pre-heating relay circuit. Relay supplied and plugs never supplied (P1351)

De-rigeur on 1.6 HDi - one or more of the glowplugs has gone west. As long as it continues to regen the DPF ignore it - the plugs can be a nightmare to change.

>Engine Relay unit - ECU not recognised, check your choice.

Suspect it (underbonnent fuse box) has been replaced with the wrong unit

>Suspension - Permanent fault, no communciation with steering wheel angle sensor. Incorrect value received.

If it has ESP, then this should put the light on. If it doesn't then don't worry about it - it may be related to the underbonnet fuse box being incorrect.