Is there a C5 buyers guide

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

katanassn
My Cars:

Is there a C5 buyers guide

Post by katanassn »

Have done a search and come up with one being mentioned but no definitive answers. So I'm looking to buy a cheap C5, preferably diesel as I will be going to france in it quite a bit over the summer so decided that a big diesel estate would be just the thing.

So which is the better engine the 2.0 or the 2.2 for economy? What are the service intervals? anything to worry about? What are the cambelt mileages are they difficult to do as a DIY'er. I know that some cars had the brilliant suspension :mrgreen: so is the system the same as the BX to test, press on a corner and watch it self level. Do the rear trailling arms bearings suffer if the spheres aren't changed. There are alot more computers than on the BX is a lexia cable essential if looking to buy a cheap C5, as it will have faults will this cable help.

Thank you and hope there is a simple answer.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Is there a C5 buyers guide

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.0. 8 valve Hdi every time, its almost bombproof. Mine has done 200,000 miles+ and is still mostly original. It should be capable of doing 60mpg+ driven sensibly, the 2.2 on the other hand you will be lucky to get 50mpg and it also has DPF which the 2.0. doesnt. I have a 2.0. in a 406 which has covered nearly 240,000 miles and is also mostely original.

Peter
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

What Peter said, pre 2004 2.0Hdi with the 8v engine are the ones to go for. SX spec or higher is desirable for the climate control and bigger info screen. All get the Hydractive suspension, but only the 2.2 gets the Hydractive 3+ with sport setting. Cambelts due 100k or 10 years whichever comes sooner.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
katanassn
My Cars:

Post by katanassn »

That seems to agree with what I have read, now to find a car.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

To answer your questions:

Trailing arm bearings can still be a problem - the design is almost identical to the earlier ones. It's not really due to failing spheres (the new ones last a lot longer anyway), but water ingress and lack of grease.
Same applies to corrosion on rear calipers - same old problem, but a bit harder to tackle, as the calipers are fitted with heavily threadlocked bolts, which can be a right pain to remove!
Heater matrix too - perhaps a bit more reliable now (or just better coolant), but just as bad to get at.

Cambelt is supposed to be 100k miles on most; they do seem to last gat long too, but you might decide to change it earlier for peace of mind. Not a bad job at all - the fuel pump isn't timed - but the flywheel locking point is a bit of a pain, under the car, behind the starter.
Quoted service intervals vary, but all are longer than most of us would be comfortable with (my current phase 2 is 20k). Make your own decision on that, but use the proper oil (usually Total ECS or equivalent). Genuine filters etc can be found very cheaply, so there's no point in skimping for the sake of an hour or so's work now and again!

Check the undertray. Many go missing. Opinions vary, but I think the tray is important for protection, aerodynamics, soundproofing etc. If it's not fitted, the wheelarch liners can get mangled too, and they're not cheap!

I'd say a Lexia is pretty much essential, not just for diagnosis, but for adjusting settings etc. Include one in your budget (and ideally a dedicated laptop running Windows XP).

Suspension now uses an electric pump and computer control, and an improved hydraulic fluid, but the principle is still the same.
You'll find the ride firmer than a BX; Citroen have bowed to fashion for a 'Germanic' feel to some extent - it's a very different car from a BX - but still better than anything comparable on the road.

Despite the 'traditional' design failures, the C5 is a very reliable car when properly looked after, and fantastic value IMHO.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

dnsey wrote:
Check the undertray. Many go missing. Opinions vary, but I think the tray is important for protection, aerodynamics, soundproofing etc. If it's not fitted, the wheelarch liners can get mangled too, and they're not cheap!

Been there, took my 2.2 down a motorway late at night at high speed and had the wheel arch liner come flapping out and onto the wheel. Much noise ensued and a burning smell where the tyre rubbed through the liner. I didn't realise the undertray braces the wheel arch liners in place! I got a pattern undertray from Poland on eBay for £45, it was still there 3 years later when i sold the car.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yeah, the Polish undertrays are OK.
The one I bought was a sort of hybrid, despite being sold as model-specific, so not all the mountings lined up properly. Easily sorted with a few cable ties, though (and more secure than the original Oddie fastners anyway).
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

dnsey wrote: Quoted service intervals vary, but all are longer than most of us would be comfortable with (my current phase 2 is 20k). Make your own decision on that, but use the proper oil (usually Total ECS or equivalent).
Here here - it says 20k on mine, but 20k between oil changes? On a diesel engine? With a Turbo? [-X :^o IMO
That said, mine was bought with no service history (beyond tipex on the slam panel stating last oil and filter and a receipt for the last cambelt) came with various faults suggesting general neglect and is on 156k, but seems fine... [-o<
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I change mine at 8k, I think that's quite long enough.

Peter
katanassn
My Cars:

Post by katanassn »

Found a cheap 07 1.6 hdi estate nearby.

I know the turbo issues...its newish cheap and from a trader...think i will go and see it.
katanassn
My Cars:

Post by katanassn »

Ah it has gone.

So the 110 HDI is the same VED as the 1.6?
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

As the owner of a 2.2 i agree with all the above comments. Fantastic car with more features and gadgets than you can throw a stick at but a little quirky compared to my previous mondeos. I only get about 40mpg (mondeo was 30 at best :lol: ). It appears common to replace the water pump at same time as cam belt on a 2.2. A lexia is sound investment. I was given an old laptop by a mate which runs windows xp. Its a little slow but its purely for running lexia.

Try and get one with as much service history as possible. Citroens dont really handle neglect or abuse without throwing a hissy fit :) Saying that the 2.0 diesel seems to be a simpler and less fussy engine than the 2.2. Saying that I'm very happy with my 2.2 despite it having issues with the DPF. However this forum has always pointed me in the right direction and have saved myself loads of money in the process.

This forum has been invaluable tho so thank you one and all for the tips advice and some very funny threads and comments pictures and avatars (mainly from Sticky Finger) :rofl2:

Good luck with your search mate :)

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)