Advice for buying a 407 SW?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lsajfinl

Advice for buying a 407 SW?

Post by lsajfinl »

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this had been asked in the past, I've only just started using the forum.

I was wondering if any Peugeot 407 owners could give me a little advice for buying a used 1.6 407 estate and what to look out for?

My budget is £1500 max and I am after the 1.6 diesel due to insurance quotes & mpg - I've got to do a couple of 2000 mile trips a year on top of the usual stuff.

A couple of friends who are slightly more clued up than me have advised me to go for a safer bet with the Toyota Avensis or Passat instead but I can't help to feel more attracted to the 407 SW's quirkiness in comparison.

I have had a Xantia in the past and found the stereotypical electrical issues no problem at all which has given me plenty of faith in the Frenchies!

Thanks in advance,

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Advice for buying a 407 SW?

Post by Peter.N. »

In my opinion Peugeot diesel engines are the most reliable of the lot, except for the 1.6. Turbo failure is common due to oil sludge blocking the inline turbo oil filter. They are still a good engine though and the likelyhood of the turbo failing can be considerably reduced by changing the oil at about half the recommended mileage and removing the filter from the turbo feed.

Providing the car has at least been regularly serviced and is running well when you buy it and you immediately change the oil you should have a good car.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My advice would be don't, unless you a) have to; and b) can DIY.

Buying guide here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 5&p=432626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would add to that, that if turbo failure is suffered, remove the oil filter from the sump pickup; and get any leaking injectors fixed ASAP.

I would expect a £1500 407 to be pretty baggy, and with the 1.6 HDi a ticking time bomb - unless you can establish that the turbo has been replaced a long while ago and there are no further problems.

In particular look out for the bottom swivels on the front suspension needing replacement - if you can't do it yourself it's a dear job, that will eat into any savings you might have made.
Richard W
lsajfinl

Post by lsajfinl »

Peter.N. wrote:In my opinion Peugeot diesel engines are the most reliable of the lot, except for the 1.6. Turbo failure is common due to oil sludge blocking the inline turbo oil filter. They are still a good engine though and the likelyhood of the turbo failing can be considerably reduced by changing the oil at about half the recommended mileage and removing the filter from the turbo feed.

Providing the car has at least been regularly serviced and is running well when you buy it and you immediately change the oil you should have a good car.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I really appreciate your opinion. Just out of curiosity, do you think the 2.0 litre diesel a better bet? There is only a slight increase in insurance cost and decrease in mpg which I would still consider good. I'm also wondering if post 2005 models had revamped electrics like the 307? Or are the electrics generally ok?

Sorry for such generic questions - I really want to find the confidence to go for the 407 it's continually growing on me.

Cheers,
lsajfinl

Post by lsajfinl »

RichardW wrote:My advice would be don't, unless you a) have to; and b) can DIY.

Buying guide here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 5&p=432626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would add to that, that if turbo failure is suffered, remove the oil filter from the sump pickup; and get any leaking injectors fixed ASAP.

I would expect a £1500 407 to be pretty baggy, and with the 1.6 HDi a ticking time bomb - unless you can establish that the turbo has been replaced a long while ago and there are no further problems.

In particular look out for the bottom swivels on the front suspension needing replacement - if you can't do it yourself it's a dear job, that will eat into any savings you might have made.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice and that link - really useful thread saying it how it is!

Would you suggest the 2.0 litre diesel is the better engine? As i've just replied to Peter ^, the insurance only slightly increased doing online quotes so I would be happy to go for one of them too providing they still get good mpg.

I am quite handy myself, I've got 4 brothers too 2 of which mechanics so servicing and generally looking after the mechanics of the car I'm fine with, its more so electrical issues.

Cheers,

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You don't hear of so many problems with the 2.0. litre. I think that among other things it has a larger sump capacity. The best engine without doubt is the early 8 valve 2.0. they are almost indestructable and had no DPF, I have two, one in a C5 and the other in a 406 and that has done 237,000 miles and is still mostly original including the clutch and DMF but unfortunately they only used them until about 2004, I don't think they used them in the 407.

Whatever diesel you get you will do well to change the oil more often than they specify, I used to change the XUD engines at 5000 miles but the Hdi's are cleaner burning so I do mine at 8000 miles.

Peter
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I had a 2.0 16v hdi in my c5. A good engine with reasonable economy. The 407sw would be quite a heavy car and I would only go for the 2.0. I would think you would feel the extra power and torque, espically if laden or towing.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

+1 for any of the larger engines. I think the only drawback is the crippling road tax.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I don't get it. Why is the 407 (and C5) 1.6hdi derided as being underpowered (108hp 177lb) when it has more than the Xantia TD (98hp and 147lb) and that made the perfect towing vehicle? Is it that much heavier or a poor gear selection or something else?
Last edited by MikeT on 16 Jun 2015, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

MikeT wrote:I don't get it. Why is the 407 (and C5) derided as being underpowered (108hp 177lb) when it has more than the Xantia TD (98hp and 147lb) and that made the perfect towing vehicle? Is it that much heavier or a poor gear selection or something else?
I don't think anyone is saying the 2.0 is underpowered, just the 1.6. Having driven a few of both I'd agree that the 1.6 hasn't the low end power for a bigger car and the 2.0 would be better in a 407. Never owned a Hdi though so no idea what they are like to live with.

Your old Xantias still going strong John. It's not an A1 example just yet but I'm slowly trying to get there.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

elma wrote:
MikeT wrote:I don't get it. Why is the 407 (and C5) derided as being underpowered (108hp 177lb) when it has more than the Xantia TD (98hp and 147lb) and that made the perfect towing vehicle? Is it that much heavier or a poor gear selection or something else?
I don't think anyone is saying the 2.0 is underpowered, just the 1.6
Yeah, Is 1.6 I quoted power figures for (edited my post to clarify).
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That's interesting, my guess is that the lighter 1.6 produces its torque at higher rpm. I'm off looking for power curves now.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

1.6 16V power curve is more petrol like than diesel. That said, we've got 2, and neither is desperately underpowered. The 307 goes better than the C4 Picasso, but the kerbweights are not that much different (1500kg or thereabouts) - I have wondered if the 307 has been chipped, but it's not wildly faster, so perhaps not....

The 2.0 16V engine seems to be much better, but it can still suffer modern diesel maladies. Go for the best maintenance history you can find!
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

It does seem to be lazy but I'm still getting used to power delivery. A stark difference to my tweaked xant.
The torque curve seems non-existant though I've not spun it up to the extremes. It's more flat than curved from what I've experienced and the gears are longer (if that's the correct term?).

However, I wouldn't say it's underpowered either though I've yet to experience it more loaded than just driver.

What I do find "interesting" is the elasticity feeling of the drive, presumably thanks to the DMF?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Variable vane turbo, removes that it's not going, it's not going, it's not going, oh it's in the hedge turbo lag that the XUD suffered from :rofl2: Much less fun though.... 8-)

Not sure what you mean about elasticity - I've never noticed anything different from any other car really. DMF just smooths out the vibrations, not that much different to the springs in the clutch plate on solid flywheels as you take the drive up.
Richard W