diesel in a C5 petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nod
My Cars:

diesel in a C5 petrol

Post by nod »

I managed to put 10 ltr of diesel into my 2003 C5 before I realised, the tank was nearly empty and I filled it to the top with petrol. The car ran well and every time it got to three quarters I topped it up again. Around 400 ks later it started to cough a little and at the weekend I tried to go for a long run to clean it all out. I was only using it to go to work around 22ks round trip. But when I got it really warm it started to run badly, I stopped for a cuppa and half hour later started perfectly and ran well till hot. it went to work and back today no problems. Is it possible I have damaged the catalitc converter ? Ive always had the anti pollution light on scince I got the car 18 months ago and my local Citroen dealer cant find why that is but now I wonder if Ive done some permanent damage.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: diesel in a C5 petrol

Post by qprdude »

I suppose it's just something that happens. Never made the mistake myself so couldn't tell you what problems it would cause.
One thing I wouldn't have done is run a car for 18 months with a depollution warning. Kind of asking for trouble really. If you are in the UK, you might be close to a forum member with a lexia.
That would be my first port of call rather than guessing and maybe paying out for repairs that aren't needed.
Check Lexia locations under "supersticky"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
nod
My Cars:

Re: diesel in a C5 petrol

Post by nod »

ok thanks for the reply. The anti pollution fault has not been on permanently all that time it comes and goes but it comes more than it goes,the Citroen dealer put a new air pump on they reckoned thats what the computer told them it was but 1 week later it was back and they said just live with it you cant do any damage and could spend a fortune trying to trace it. I knew someone who a few years ago put diesel in a petrol and it smoked a lot for a tank or two but then was ok but I dont get any smoke out of the C5.