Cetane

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrbump
My Cars:

Cetane

Post by mrbump »

I have seen on the back of some diesel treatment additives that ht eformula aslo improves the CETANE rating of the fuel. Now, if cetane is the diesel version of octane, then the higher the cetane rating, the greater energy released when the fuel is burnt (more power per bang) and also the cylinder temps will be reduced.
It is pretty easy to get the octane rating of petrol higher by using octane improvers like tolulene or xylene (or by using avgas like I do in me race car) or even by using higher octane rated pump fuel. Higher octane than the standard 95ish is necessary in highly tuned turbo petrol engines, but will also benefit any petrol engine tuned to maximise the extra power availiable (to a point).
However I have never seen a product that specifically increases the 'cetane' rating of diesel. This is of course assuming that cetane is actually a measure of the energy released when the fuel is burned. Has anybody here ever heard of a cetane improver? I wouldnt mind betting that it is a readily available chemical that could be bought cheaply and used in small quantities for each tank of fuel to help td's run cooler and more efficiently. Could be just the thing for running big boost on these td engines!!![}:)]
cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think most diesel cleaners are based on cetane which is there for its solvent properties. Sometimes cleaners will produce an improvement but I've always put this down to the cleaning action rather than different combustion characteristics.
When I've used it with good injectors I've not noticed any improvement at all and while I use it before the MOT I generally feel that I have wasted my money.
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Cetane rating is not the equvilent of octane rating, it is the opposite of it, a fuel with a high cetane rating will have a low octane rating.
The cetane improver in a fuel additive will improve noise, reduce smoke and may improve performance of a diesel engine, it makes the diesel ignite earlier i.e. as soon as injection starts rather than when quite a bit of fuel has been injected which makes for less diesel knock.