307 Engine, Oil everywhere

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

307 Engine, Oil everywhere

Post by doctle »

Well guys, I finally started checking over my new to me 307. I was told there was a "small oil leak" but when I got the undertray off there is oil everywhere, all over the engine from the head down so I doubt the back seal on the crank is causing it. I don't have enough engine cleaner until Monday. So questions. Do these engines leak oil and if so where? Rocker cover? oil cooler? The heat shield on the turbo is very tatty are these readily available? Thanks again :)
Oh buggle
doctle

Re: 307 Engine, Oil everywhere

Post by doctle »

Is it true these engines leak oil from the head gasket?
Oh buggle
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You'll have to remind me what engine.

If its a TU petrol (8v especially) they can leak from the rocker cover as the two nuts holding it on can work loose as can the rubber seal on the cover harden (very easy to change)

They can leak from the head gasket usually on the front left (as in drivers side when looking at engine) corner, there's a kind of 'shelf'

To be honest, I'd say give it a good clean down then see where it really is coming from.

Other potential leak points are a cracked oil filter housing (the plastic one) but that seems quite rare. They only tend to leak when hot (ie expanding) though but it will make an awful mess.

How is the oil level ? How much has been lost ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
doctle

Post by doctle »

Hi Andy
The engine is 1.4 HDI and there's oil everywhere on it. I'm getting jizer tomorrow to give it a clean, I'll check the oil filter housing when I clean the engine
Oh buggle
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

THe small HDi has a similar filter arrangement to the TU petrol ie plastic cap. It also has a cooler fitted (a sandwich) between that and the block if I remember correctly.

If its as bad as it sounds, a quick clean up then running it should narrow the source down without too much difficulty.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Could it be the filth that comes from the injector seals from the 1.4 hdi? My engine was filthy all over from it.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2