1993 ZX TD pre heating system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

1993 ZX TD pre heating system

Post by louis1 »

I have a problem with the pre heating system, the problem is, sometimes the coil light on the dash comes on and the car fires up ok sometimes the light does'nt come on and it will turn but not start(oviously no power to the glow plugs). My freind let me borrow his pre heating system timer box (next to the battery) this made no difference. when the light does come on and i get it started about 5 seconds after it has started the light comes on again for about 7 seconds then goes back out, any ideas would be appriciated. Also i have cleaned the wire that goes to the glow plugs and this made no difference.
Also i have hade to replace the thermostat housing due to a crack in the old one, i have to put the cold start cable back on to the fuel pump how do i do this properly and adjust it.
Thanks Louis
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think there is a relay that powers up the plug timer - this could be at fault. I also wonder if you are suffering from the common burnt out ignition lock - usually causes problems with the blower, but could see different symptoms. You are going to have to wait until it plays up then go at it with the multi meter. First will be to see if it has a live feed and good earth. Then you might need to see what the output from the coolant temp sensor is. As with most electrical faults - it's probably going to be a bugger to find!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Cold start cable. Slaken the cable & push the control arm back towards the clutch end of the engine tighten the cable. Run the engine up to norm tempreture and check the cable. There should be about 5 to 6 mm of slack in the cable if not the cold start unit has failed. Easy to remove from thermostat housing. Un screw and replace. That's how I did it.