Xantia TD Wiring Loom Advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia TD Wiring Loom Advice

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi Folks

I had posted a few weeks ago about the main radiator cooling fans going nuts and coming on randomly :? First when the engine is started from cold then sometimes not. Mostly the pattern was "come on with cold engine then switch off when temp guage reaches around 60 and stay off". Fans come on a few seconds after turning key to glow plug stage, first one fan slow then two fans fast. Just this morning on my 20 mile commute they come on full speed all the time even though the guage is normal. I am assuming that the wires from the brown thermistor sensor have now gone completely open circuit. I see the two wires coming from the thermistor plug disappear into a main loom which then loops off towards the fuse box. Do these go through the plug attached to the inner wing just in front/down the side of the battery? I note this has 3 wires running through it? I have seperated these a couple of times and sprayed contact cleaner in. The lowest looked a wee bit corroded but nothing horrendous. Scratched the female part of the connector to try & improve. No noticeable improvement.

Has anyone traced the wires from the brown coolant sensor back to the Bitron? I want to run a continuity check on it to see if thats where my problems lie. I am also not ruling out the Bitron going crazy. I checked the fan relays and there is no evidence of burned or corroded connections.

Any advice welcome as its embarrassing driving around with both fans running constantly flat out!! :roll:

Cheers

Alan
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Xantia TD Wiring Loom Advice

Post by KennyW »

Alan,

I had problems a few years back with my TD and it was a broken wire at a connection leading to the briton. Unfortunately it required removal of front bumper to gain good access to wiring loom.

The thread can be found in the Air Con section of the forum.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Re: Xantia TD Wiring Loom Advice

Post by ecohouse1 »

Update on this situation - tried replacing the LH Fan relay on Friday evening and immediately the problem has reduced, alas not disappeared. I managed 2 days with no cold start fans - although it did momentarily come on with a "warmish" start (60 degree) yesterday but switched off within 30 seconds. Put my "new ebay bitron" in last night as stage 2 of the repair attempt so time will tell if its worked or not.