Xantia Cam-belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Xantia Cam-belt change

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
I bought a '97 Xantia VSX 2litre 8valve auto(yuk) a few days ago. The first job will be it's cam-belt. Any hints or tips?? I've changed BX and GS cam-belts before without any problem, so I'm hoping this will be as easy as they were [:o)] Just gotta get my CX back together and out of the shed before I start the cam-belt (why anyone would want a car that's lived in the UK for any length of time is beyond me ... bloody frozen fasteners siezed into alloy [}:)] )
Then all I'll need to do is bolt on a turbo charger & it'll almost be a usable car [:D] Even my wife complains about it being a slug (I prefer to call it 'sedate' [:D])after her BX19tri 5spd [:0].
seeya,
Shane L.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

On my 97 / 2.0 16v Xantia it was not necessary to loosen the engine (as describe in Haynes) to get to the belt and that obviously simplify the task. Be prepared to change the water-pump etc. as well.
Have fun / Mads
mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Hi,
See:http://www.citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46 -highly recomended.
To loose drivebelt wheel onto the crank axle I used ~10" long ring key mounted appr. 17:00 and fixed by hummer handle.
Central cable from distributor-disconnected.
Then short push (but really short)with starter, key beats lower horizontal suspension lever-and it's done.
One-maximum two attempts is enough.[;)]
Good luck.[:D]
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Just done this on my 2.1TD so not really in a position to comment on the specifics of the 2ltr petrol but the tip about having the engine hot to aid the removal of the crank shft bolt was very true. I went for a drive to get it all nice and hot. However in the time it took me to get it up on the ramps and remove the plastic undertray and plastic inner wing liner I just couldn't shift the bolt with either a long bar or air impact wrench. Went for a another drive, straight on with the 2ft 6 socket handle and off it came. Sorry I'm just not comfortable with the "starter motor approach" although several on the list find it does the trick.
Good Luck
Rory
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Thanks Guys,
I'll let you know how I go. I've got the cambelt and an oil pressure switch on order [:)]
seeya,
Shane L.