Just bought a 307

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Just bought a 307

Post by doctle »

Hi again Guys
I just bought a 307 1.4 hdi with some problems. Main one is that sometimes there's no power at all. Abs light is on, I got the car scanned and replaced the back nearside ABS sensor as it was showing faulty. Also there seems to be oil around the drive-shafts where they go into the gearbox. The clutch was changed recently. Any pointers or advice much appreciated.

I live in Ireland the diagnostic scan cost €80.00+VAT is there a cheap (ish) scan tool that members recommend for Peugeot?

Thanks very much
Oh buggle
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Just bought a 307

Post by spider »

Hi.

The best tool is the Diagbox (Lexia and Planet) although its not cheap but it does what the dealer can.

The alternative is a generic code reader which does OK but bear in mind it cannot usually deal with things like Airbag faults or ABS faults, they tend to only pick out generic and engine related issues.

The oil is probably from the transmission. The issue here is (as most people just pull the shafts out) is if the seals were changed or not. PSA seals do not really like to be re-used that much. I would suggest getting an aersol can of clutch/brake cleaner and spraying the seal area to clean it up, also check the gearbox oil level (if its not OK top up) then check in a few days for evidence of leakage from the seals. So it could be OK (if its not leaking) and just 'left overs'. If you cannot check the trans oil at a minimum please wipe the area a little bit around the driveshaft to trans so you can then return in a few days to see if it really is leaking or not. Bear in mind low trans oil is not good.

What do you mean by no power ? , as in no electrics or engine just idles (no response to pedal) or its really gutless or something else ? :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
doctle

Post by doctle »

Hi Andy
Thank you for the speedy reply!
The car can drive fine for a while then no power, it drives like an old mk2 golf straight diesel so gutless.
Is lexia and planet 2 different systems? I will clean up the gearbox, top up if needed and see what happens. I think I'll change those seals anyway
Thanks again

Paul
Last edited by doctle on 02 Jun 2015, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Oh buggle
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You're welcome Paul.

Could be faulty MAF (mass air flow sensor, attached to inlet piping near air box, you'll see it) you wont' usually get a code with this if I remember correctly. You can temporarily unplug it and see if it goes any better, if it does then you know it is likely that. Caution: Do not leave it unplugged forever, just for long enough to confirm or otherwise. Someone more familiar with the newer small HDi units may be able to offer a bit more thought on this. Note: A faulty brake pedal switch (not always the light switch) can cause 'no power' as it thinks the brakes are applied but that's quite rare.

The Lexia is for Citroen and Planet is for Peugeot, they come under "one roof" now as 'Diagbox' as such, so sometimes people just say "Lexia" or "Planet" , the older ones were separate things.

With the seals (if it was me and I did not know if they were changed) personally I would topup the gearbox oil (if its low chances are the seals are leaking) and then spray clean the area around the seals, and knowing that I had enough oil in the gearbox I would simply then look the next day or after a few days to see if they were really leaking or if it was what was just lost during their removal. If that makes sense, ie: priority 1 ensure gearbox oil is correct then just cleanup and have another look in a few days to see if they are leaking.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
doctle

Post by doctle »

Thanks Andy

I assume Lexia is very expensive and that the ebay ones are clones that don't work?

Paul
Oh buggle
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The e-bay Lexia kits are of varying quality. There are good ones out there. The most important thing to look for is the version of Diagbox they come with. As some of the Chinese chipsets are blacklisted, they can only work up to version 5.29. If the Lexia shows that version, look elsewhere. What you are after is versions over 7. I bought my Lexia from Easy Diagnostics (from their website), for £110 (I mentioned I was a FCF member, so they knocked off the P&P cost).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
doctle

Post by doctle »

Hi James

thank you for replying and the useful information. I will have to read up on this stuff. It's really only for this ABS fault and low performance I was thinking about, I was hoping there was a simple hand held tool you could read and delete codes with?

I'm not great with electrics or electronics if you can't spanner it or beat it I get confused :)

Thanks again

Paul
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There's a member (stekelly) in Dublin who may be able to offer diagnostic assistance.

Check here for details.
doctle

Post by doctle »

myglaren wrote:There's a member (stekelly) in Dublin who may be able to offer diagnostic assistance.

Check here for details.
Thank you kind sir
Oh buggle
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Whoever charged you €80 + for a diagnostic plug in, if that's all they did saw you coming. Many garages will do a scan for a third of that.
Look up the Autel FR504 or md801. They are reasonably good handheld scan tools.
Unless you are willing to pay thousands all the diagbox systems that are available are far eastern clones. However they do work. Good or bad? Its just a lucky dip.
Gearbox seals are easily obtained from motor factors or bearing suppliers and are not too bad to change.
One recurrent fault on the 1.4tdci is the injector compression washers. If one is leaking badly it can leave the car down in power. The MAF as already mentioned is also a suspect. However you say "sometimes". Any chance that the low power is accompanied by an engine management light? Will the engine rev past 3000rpm when it is down in power?
Your comment re the mk11 golf is spot on. The 1.4 was introduced by Peugeot to replace their old 1.9d non turbo engine. It produces the same power output, about 70 BHP. There was also a 90bhp version but I have never seen one.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

doctle wrote:Hi James

thank you for replying and the useful information. I will have to read up on this stuff. It's really only for this ABS fault and low performance I was thinking about, I was hoping there was a simple hand held tool you could read and delete codes with?

I'm not great with electrics or electronics if you can't spanner it or beat it I get confused :)

Thanks again

Paul
Unfortunately not. The PSA group use a system that the generic handheld readers do not normally recognise (I bought one, it didn't work on my Citroen), but the Lexia systems do (clones or otherwise).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
doctle

Post by doctle »

BX wrote:Whoever charged you €80 + for a diagnostic plug in, if that's all they did saw you coming. Many garages will do a scan for a third of that.
Look up the Autel FR504 or md801. They are reasonably good handheld scan tools.
Unless you are willing to pay thousands all the diagbox systems that are available are far eastern clones. However they do work. Good or bad? Its just a lucky dip.
Gearbox seals are easily obtained from motor factors or bearing suppliers and are not too bad to change.
One recurrent fault on the 1.4tdci is the injector compression washers. If one is leaking badly it can leave the car down in power. The MAF as already mentioned is also a suspect. However you say "sometimes". Any chance that the low power is accompanied by an engine management light? Will the engine rev past 3000rpm when it is down in power?
Your comment re the mk11 golf is spot on. The 1.4 was introduced by Peugeot to replace their old 1.9d non turbo engine. It produces the same power output, about 70 BHP. There was also a 90bhp version but I have never seen one.
Hello and thanks for replying to my questions. The scan price is average for where I live in Ireland from a main dealer generally they know they're not getting the repair work. I suppose it's worth it to find the problem? There's no engine management light either. It's been suggested by a relative that the cat is blocked and needs replaced? Mate says turbo is dying? If it stays dry today I'll have a chance to check it out.
I'll report back this evening or tomorrow
Thanks again
Oh buggle
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I have a very similar problem on my van which uses the same engine. Normally it runs perfectly, but very occasionally it loses engine power to the point of being undriveable. It's only like this for a few seconds and then comes ok. It occasionally also doesn't start due to fuel starvation, once fuel comes through then it starts ok. All sensors have been changed along with the entire ecu and engine wiring loom, and now I and others think there is possibly a pin hole in the fuel supply somewhere allowing it to suck air, and let the fuel run back into the tank. It's such an intermittent fault it's difficult to trace. I have no engine management light on. They are bad for the injector seals leaking, usually easily identified by a chuff chuff noise when idling.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

When buying Lexia, the important thing is to make sure its a Revision C model. if its a B, no worry there's a French chap who can upgrade it via email for you for a donation. I was also stick with Diagbox 5, but after the upgrade can now use 7 or even the latest version 8.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
doctle

Post by doctle »

Gibbo_Wirral wrote:When buying Lexia, the important thing is to make sure its a Revision C model. if its a B, no worry there's a French chap who can upgrade it via email for you for a donation. I was also stick with Diagbox 5, but after the upgrade can now use 7 or even the latest version 8.
Is it difficult to install on a computer and or difficult to use? there's some on the interweb for 70.00 odd. I don't want to add a link as some forums dislike them.
Oh buggle