Synergie Roof Lining question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PugLover

Synergie Roof Lining question

Post by PugLover »

Just wondering if anyone knows what would make the roof lining (a felt material) stick back up?
A week or so ago the heat became too much for the old glue and it's come away from the hard board thingy...
I tried some glue but to no avail. I've now bought heavy duty carpet adhesive (as well as a cool looking gun applicator) off flea-bay.

Got a few photos to post of the problem. I have taken down one hand rest (front passenger side) and aim to gun it in from there instead of pulling every corner off.

The brown stuff is the horrible factory glue.

Also replaced the front vent surroundings, it was cracked in a few places...

I'm not scared of breaking a nail or a bit of dirt lol

Not a great picture but its done lol

The car is attending French Car Show (will be on PEG stand) so feel free to drop by and say hi :) So really want to get this sorted asap!
The car is having some limo tints before the show!

Just wondering if when this adhessive comes it'll work, how long it'll take to set and if anyone else has had similar problems how they managed to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance :)
Citroen Synergie - 1.9 DT XUD9 TE lump (8 seater, daily driver)
Peugeot 406 ~ 2.0 Petrol estate (Sold in 2014, Missed every day.)
PugLover

Re: Synergie Roof Lining question

Post by PugLover »

P.s car will have a DEEP CLEAN before the show! I bought it in September and shamefully haven't done much (if any) internal cleaning since... :\ Joys of being a Mother I guess!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Looking at your rev counter, I would say it is a bit fast on idle :), I like the Tomato ketchup stored up ready....but that DUST looks like the inside of an old carpet living PC, that would drive me mad.

My only concern is the adhesive getting soft in the heat, this is designed for the job.
3M trim adhesive, heat resistant, long open time....other makes can be found on EBay
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats the exact same ting my daughters P reg Synergie suffers with, she has attempted to stick it back up several times, with various aerosol adhesives,

you will need to scrape all the stuck on remains of the head lining foam backing ( that orible crumbly stuff still up there ) off if you are going to have half a chance of sticking the lining back up,

the crubly stuff is not just the old adhesive but also the backing of the lining material,

i think carpet glue will permeate the lining and look even worse,

after cleaning the inside surface of the roof you could try double sided carpet tape, as that stick like the proverbial to anything
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The big problem is not the glue, it is the foam coating that has oxidised and is turning to powder, there is little chance of tape working on that substrate, a spray may "coat" a sufficient area to help it grip.....The only real way would be take it off and clean off the foam and all its dust, apply new (its cheap) foam and then reapply to the carrier.......or find a clean one in a scrap yard
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Stickyfinger wrote:Looking at your rev counter, I would say it is a bit fast on idle :), I like the Tomato ketchup stored up ready....but that DUST looks like the inside of an old carpet living PC, that would drive me mad.

My only concern is the adhesive getting soft in the heat, this is designed for the job.
3M trim adhesive, heat resistant, long open time....other makes can be found on EBay
Do you really think it idles high?
He he @ the tomato ketchup, I never go without! Never know when you need it, plus it takes your mind of warning lights lol. :) Method to my madness!
I didn't think about heat resistant really, I just thought that some carpets have under floor heating.. so it should be okay - womens logic huh!
I think I'll give this a go definitely, thank you for recommending it!
citronut wrote:thats the exact same ting my daughters P reg Synergie suffers with, she has attempted to stick it back up several times, with various aerosol adhesives,

you will need to scrape all the stuck on remains of the head lining foam backing ( that orible crumbly stuff still up there ) off if you are going to have half a chance of sticking the lining back up,

the crubly stuff is not just the old adhesive but also the backing of the lining material,

i think carpet glue will permeate the lining and look even worse,

after cleaning the inside surface of the roof you could try double sided carpet tape, as that stick like the proverbial to anything
Oh no - not that horrible brown stuff! How could I best remove the old adhessive and backing material? Really didn't want to have to take the whole thing down lol... Is there any easy way to get the hand rails off, I managed okay with the one I did, but they have some screw covers on and i don't know an easy way to access the screws?

How did you manage to do your daughters? Also, how often would you drain the coolant on these? I'm noticing the temperature being a higher than usual, could be the weather but having had 3 head gaskets blown on 806's before, I don't want to take any chances!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

PugLover wrote:
, I just thought that some carpets have under floor heating..
maybe so but carpet doesnt usually sag as its laying on the floor :yikes: #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:
PugLover wrote: Oh no - not that horrible brown stuff! How could I best remove the old adhessive and backing material?
i think she used a scraper, her lining was hanging down all the way across the back end, so she had access

PugLover wrote: How did you manage to do your daughters?
she hasnt finally stopped it, but i think she is going to try double sided carpet tape next time she has a go at it
PugLover wrote: Also, how often would you drain the coolant on these? I'm noticing the temperature being a higher than usual, could be the weather but having had 3 head gaskets blown on 806's before, I don't want to take any chances!
you need to firstly check there are no leaks in the cooling system, then spend a bit of time bleeding the system thoroughly,

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
PugLover

Post by PugLover »

Thanks Malcom, I'm in Oxfordshire, near Bicester!

I can be a bit of a blonde sometimes ha ha... I really appreciate your help though, the carpet tape sounds a good idea! Hope it works! Thank you