C5 tourer temperature sensor problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rusty-pie

C5 tourer temperature sensor problem

Post by rusty-pie »

My 2010 (59) C5 tourer external temperature sensor a few months ago started to register around 8 degrees lower than the real temperature, ie if outside is 20C it shows 12C on the centre console. I did not worry about for a while thinking it would have no functional effect but I have then read on this and other forums that the air conditioning unit uses this sensor to regulate the heating/cooling air temperature, and therefore if/when it fails completely functionality of the A/C unit will be badly affected with air blowing in only completely cold or hot.

I bought the car 10 months ago used from a main Hyundai dealer with a 12 months warranty which covers also the A/C unit. The Hyundai dealer service department told me that they were happy for me to take the car to a Citroen main dealer as they do not have the equipment for diagnosing the problem. The warranty will cover the replacement of the sensor, both parts and labour, but it does not cover the cost of the diagnostic which I have been quoted at £99. I have spoken to the Citroen service department but the guy was not keen to replace the sensor without performing before a diagnostic; he would not comment about how likely the incorrect temperature reading is caused by a bad temperature sensor and if/what other reasons could cause this fault; (the technician admitted that he had just started in that Citroen garage and was not familiar with the brand). I suggested replacing the sensor and then to perform the diagnostic if that does not work, but he was not keen on that either.

I am wondering if the cost of the diagnostic is actually higher than the cost of the sensor itself, therefore if it would be more cost effective to replace the sensor myself, but I am also wondering how easy/difficult is to replace the sensor which is located in the RH wing mirror, and am worried that I may end up breaking/damaging the wing mirror in the process, or that the sensor may not actually be the cause of the problem......

What is the best course of action?
2010 C5 2.0 diesel HDi 160 tourer exclusive auto.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 tourer temperature sensor problem

Post by Stickyfinger »

Not sure of the exact car you have, but this is I think the part you are looking for (10), it plugs into a connector in the mirror body.

00006445F9 MIRROR EXT TEMPERATURE SENSOR 26.13 GBP 31.36 GBP incld VAT

Note: check by your VIN before ordering.

Just TELL them to SHUT UP and change the bloody part and invoice for the work as you do not need a £99.00...2 min PC connection to do that job......geeze the dealers are cocky sods !
I wonder if they do the correct battery disconnection procedure and block their ramps for 1/2hour...(bet they don't)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

my Lexia i'm pretty sure didn't flash up a fault on the sensor, it was still reading a temperature albeit wrong.
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

Thanks for your replies, I was incline to the "just replace the sensor" course of action too. Has anybody experienced exactly the same problem which was cured by replacing the sensor? I've read of sensors failing completely and showing 60C all the time but not about the temperature being only slightly off. I just don't want to push them to "shut up and change the bloody part" and then look like a proper fool if this does not cure the problem! :-)
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

Ps the car is a 2.0 diesel hdi 160 tourer exclusive auto
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

How do I access the sensor btw? I assume I have to remove the glass, how is this done?
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

done mine as it was reading 8/9 below actual temp....

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=47614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i did however cause myself some extra expense :lol: be careful !!
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

Cheers, interesting post. Do you still have the pdf of the removal instructions by any chance, the wikis end link now points to a song file..... :-)
Just in case the dealer refuses categorically to replace the sensor without the diagnostic charge.
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

didn't keep the PDF sorry but i'm sure vborovic will be along soon.....
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

What did you do wrong to cause the extra expense? :) :)
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I don't have the procedure where you actually replace the temp. sensor, but the closest is below (dismantling the door card to be able to pull out the mirror, and how to unclip the mirror glass from the housing):

http://www.filedropper.com/c5door" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.filedropper.com/c5mirror" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

Thanks vborovic, the glass removal procedure is exactly what I was after. I have found an aftermarket replacement temperature sensor for a tenner including p&p, I'm tempted to just replace it myself, just worried how easy is to remove the glass without causing myself the extra expenses breaking something! :-)
Alternatively I'm thinking of calling other dealers in the area to see if anyone wants to replace the sensor without doing a diagnostic before, so at no cost for me......
rusty-pie

Post by rusty-pie »

Well, I've called other Citroen garages and they have all come up with the same answer that they will not perform the work unless they do a diagnostic first, because: "sir, how do we know if the wrong temperature reading is caused by a bad temperature sensor and not something else?" which will be at my cost, one hour labour charge at the price of £99, bargain! :shock:
In the meantime I have bought the aftermarket sensor for £8 and am tempted to just replace it myself, but I've had a look at the inside of the mirror and I am not confident at all that I can dismantle the glass without incidents...... Has anybody managed to do it without breaking something in the process?????
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Some related posts in these threads:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=12793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/ci ... re-sensor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=30109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=36215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
old'uns
'09 X7 - gone
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

have a go yourself, it's not that difficult..... :lol:

the 8 clips are marked on here...

couple of small thin screwdrivers/bradawl type tools should do the trick, you want it to look like this if correct....

...well at least the back of the glass anyway, the ring on the right should be bigger with the motor attached to it :)

you've got the sensor cheap, glass can't be that much and even if you screw up like me with the motor @£68 at least the stealer hasn't had £99 off you to check something that Lexia won't anyway?