Buying advice wanted - Xantia HDi 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lhm_leak
My Cars:

Buying advice wanted - Xantia HDi 110

Post by lhm_leak »

Most of you are probably aware by now of the little problem I'm having with my 95 Xantia TD. If nothing else, it's brought home a large dollop of reality - if I am doing 100+ miles per day in commuting alone, then I need something just a teeny bit more reliable than a 9 year old car with nearly 200K under its wheels. So I'm going to have to let the moths out of my wallet (or more likely, beg the bank...) and spend some serious money on something a bit younger!
Earlier today, I was foaming at the mouth and swearing that I'd never touch another Citroen with a bargepole. Then I drove our Cavalier to the shops... and realised exactly why I've got two Xantias - even though neither is driveable at the moment! (Oh, and two Fords in similar dire straits!!!)
Well, the reason they're both knackered is simple, and all down to two things. Firstly, my buying mentality - buy 'em cheap, and run 'em into the ground (properly serviced, of course!). It's backfired big time - none of my laid-up cars is remotely ready for the scrapheap. Secondly, I don't have a garage to work in, and I have very limited time available to do any repair work, so I end up where I am now - with a collection of unusable cars that could be fixed quite easily with some time and space.
I'm saying all this to give you some background. I've come to the reluctant conclusion that I'm going to have to spend more than 500 pounds on a car for the first time in a long while. Obviously, I like Xantias, and don't like C5s, so what I've (more or less) decided to do is start looking for an HDi 110, preferably SX or better trim, no older than 1999/V and preferably less than 40K miles. Looking at the Parkers site, they reckon about 4560GBP for this spec. from a dealer. It's within my price range, but is this reasonable? I have no intentions of buying from a private seller or an auction - I'm spending REAL money, and want a proper warranty and some comeback if it all goes pear shaped!
I'd also appreciate any comments as to reliability, running costs etc. for these cars - especially in relation to the common-rail injection system. How do they drive compared to the older 1.9TD? Fuel economy? Any real problem areas to look for?
It'll probably be 4-6 weeks before I actually commit, so any advice about these cars will be helpful to me in making a buying decision.
Stu.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Sorry i may be a bit thick but what vehicle do u wish to buy? If it's a HDI xantia i think that they are spot on. If its a C5, well keep your money! The early C5's had a lot of teething problems. Some had as many as 10 recalls on 1 vehicle, to sort them out! Bhi, sphere's , rattles, downloads, waterleaks, handbrakes off the top of my head! The new ones have been sorted but old ones beware!![:)]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'd carefully consider whether a warranty from a dealer (especially a Cit dealer) is worth that much. They're often reluctant to sort stuff out (i.e. is it wear and tear or not? Or is it even covered at all?)
You might save money getting a private sale checked out by a mechanic, and putting the savings away for a few repairs.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

lhm_leak,
I'm in exactly the same situation of you, except I don't have the money, and no hope of getting money !
I'm currently looking at going to a F*** M****o TD, currently going through auctions very cheap. My theory is that parts will be just as cheap ( if not cheaper ), and more garrages / friends will be prepared to work on them if I don't have the time or money..
Don't get me wrong, I love my xantia, and like yours, it's too good to be scrapped ( and I still use it daily, despite it's faults of debatable legal status ! )- all it needs is about a days work to get it sorted, but I've had enough !!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My mate's just bought and written off a 98S HDi 110 SX (60k miles). I had a drive in it - quiet, efficient (he was getting nearly 50 mpg), and FAST. 30mph / 1000 rpm in top means legal m-way cruising at 2300 rpm, with 90 coming up by breathing on accelerator. Nice. Fiendishly complicated under the bonnet though! He paid 4k for his, so I think you might be a bit optimistic on your price / requirements. Much cheaper than the equivalent 406 though!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I can vouch for the engine in the 406, my dad had a 110, and it's quick and refined, as well as not dropping below 50mpg.
Kered

Post by Kered »

Hi Stu,
3 weeks ago I traded in my 95 VSX TD for an X HDi 110 SX Estate. The extra power is a revelation! The suspension is a lot smoother but I put this down to not being Hydractive and have 60 profile tyres instead of 55.Starting is instant with the glow plug light flashing for a fraction of a second. It's too early for me to give anymore comparisons between the old and the new but so far I'm well pleased with it.
In Parkers guide etc, if you compare ANY car of comparable new price you will be paying far more than for a Xantia. Look at a Subaru Forester!!! I put this down to a general mistrust with Citroens that have "funny" suspension. In fairness the Vectra is similar in price to the Xantia but who would ..................
But WE know better than that don't we. True the engine is far more complicated and that is a minus point but then all rival engines are just as complex and the HDi has a good name.
I know that it is the norm to knock Mr Hayneses manuals but I have no manual except the last Haynes Xantia manual to cover the estate bodywork. (my previous manual didn't cover estates) I expect to get the latest 406 manual as that covers the HDi engine. I would feel a lot more comfortable with a Haynes Xantia HDi book.
I would say - Go for it. As more of us get HDis, then the more experience there will be to help one another on this great forum.
Derek
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hi Stu,
I've had a '00 Xantia Exclusive HDi 110 for nearly two years now and it is proving to be the best car i've ever had! The old XUD unit is great, but the HDi unit is even better; quieter, more torque, more power and much smoother. I find that there is bags of torque below 2000 rpm so i rarely need to stress the motor!! I can honestly say they are a superb buy. Mine has been very reliable, other than normal sevicing i have hardly touched my engine, even the tappets are hydraulic so there is not a great deal to do on them anyway. If i were you i would just do all the usual Xantia checks to make sure that anything you are thinking of buying is sound. Don't be put off by anything with Hydractive 2, my Xantia has it and i think it's great, it makes it handle well on the twisties for such a big heavy car!![:D][8D][^]
Rich. Xantia Exclusive HDi.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> In fairness the Vectra is similar in price to the Xantia but who would ..................<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Certainly not me. Just as they sorted the Cavalier out (I've had two - very reliable motors, but mindbendingly dull), they dumped it and gave us probably the worst modern car to exist in large numbers. I've seen quite enough dead Vectras, and have no wish to join my ex-colleagues in their misery - the Xantia isn't perfect, but at least it has redeeming features that set it apart from all the other Euroboxes (Japboxes/Koreaboxes etc...).
Well, I'm going to start looking around this afternoon (in a Cavalier!) - I can't undo the union on my HP pump, and the mechanic next door is out so I can't get some help. Might as well use the time constructively!
Stu.
trsaab

Post by trsaab »

I too have recently traded my 210k miles Td for the HDI, the engine is supurb and I concurr with the other comments on torque, quiet, easy starting, no pressing 4 numbers etc. I paid ove book price from a Cit dealer as he was offering 12 months Cit UK warranty as if it was a new car. I have already had some of my money back in new tyres, tracking, estate door sealed with new membrane and seal - this also happened on my Td and is a known problem but not easy to spot as all the water runs under the carpet and ends up under the rear seats. The brakes were done after 1000 miles , which is certainly wear and tear but they did it.Also i am having my 3rd gearbox oil change tomorrow - see my posting on HDI gearbox. A known problem that the breather lets water into the box and you think the synchro has gone. This weekend I intend to find the breather and do something about it, the Cit dealer says although they know its a problem there is no official fix.
Despit all that it still a brilliant car at the price and will hopefully take me to 200k plus again. At that mileage I found too many things wearing out to make it economical.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> At that mileage I found too many things wearing out to make it economical.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, that's about the size of it.
My TD will probably soldier on for a while - I don't see any good reason why it shouldn't pass 200K without any more major dramas. The problem is - that's going to happen in about 3 months at my present rate!
It certainly seems that the HDi owners here are happy with their cars, so I'm definitely thinking it's HDi time. The nice thing for me, now, is that I'm not under (much) time pressure to find one, unlike last time when I had to buy an LX rather than the SX I wanted - I can afford to wait for the car I really want. Judging by the number of these vehicles actually for sale, I may be some time... [;)]
Stu.
Kered

Post by Kered »

Stu
You've put your finger right on it![^]
There aren't many HDi SXs about! Especially 110s. Now I wonder what the reason might be?
Obviously they ain't unhappy with them! [:)]
Keep looking
Derek
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Yep. There seem to be about 10 90s for every 110 I've seen. In fact HDi Xantias of any kind are few and far between - and most of these have been tatty highish milers, one with 160K! While it's nice to know that they'll still do the miles, I personally have no great wish to be a mileage pioneer, or to pay top dollar for one...
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

We bought a Xantia 110 Exclusive nearly 2 years ago but I had to search high and low for one (was really looking for an SX). I'd echo everything said above about the engine - brilliant - and the Exclusive has leather, A/c, clim control, Cd, heated seats etc. It had a high mileage for a 2 yr old car (50k) and we probably paid over the odds but then it was what we wanted and we love it(and no probs whatsoever yet except new front tyres!). Had to go to Oxford for it, (live in Leics) but the guy was very helpful and knew his stuff. Have just looked at his website and he only has 3.0 Exclusives but he told us that when we wanted to change he would find us the Citroen we wanted. Might be worth sending him an e-mail because there is only one 110 SX on the official Citroen site in GB (3 in Northern Ireland though!) His site is
http://www.xm-centre.com/
Hope you find one - but there ain't that many about!!
Good luck
PhilW