steering lock, new uncoded key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

steering lock, new uncoded key

Post by John Plum »

Hi, Just a quick one:
I lost my last key, have a newly cut one with, as of yet, uncoded transponder. i tested it in the xantia MK2's ignition barrel, and turned it, ignition lights cam e on but when I turned it failed to start of course; After repeating probably three times, key wouldn't turn switch on, and then slipped into steering lock which the new key cannot turn out of.

I wonder what's happened, and how I'll be able to get the new key to turn so as to run lexia 3 on it to sync transponders :?:
Also, will I need the engine running to run the lexia for syncing a transponder, I assume not?
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: steering lock, new uncoded key

Post by MikeT »

My steering lock can sometimes feel it's jammed and this will sometimes lock the key in the barrel. I have to counter-rotate the steering wheel so it's not putting pressure on the lock, then I'm able to turn the key.

Synching transponders doesn't require engine running, no.
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

thanks, relief to know i don't need engine running, but i'll need to get steering lock free.
key isn't stuck in my case; i wondered if it may be an immobiliser issue - locked the steering, and if so can a lexia release it, with the correct 4 digit key code. Otherwise, i may have to try dismantling the lock!

i tried the anti clockwise movement to release the lock - something i learned by feel on first xantia; you can feel it does release any possible 'jamming' but , in this car the barrel will not turn even at that point..
John Plum
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Immobiliser has no effect on the steering lock / barrel - if it won't turn then the key is most likely not quite right or the barrel is worn. You need to able to turn the key to code it though....
Richard W
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

cheers.. much as I feared:
- the barrel did turn with new key, three or four times, and activate ignition lights; so it's the barrel… gosh, heck! Hell.
- pfff!
John Plum
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

OK set to go… lock freed. [-o<

Had to go carefully, and needed your answers first, so thanks.
It was a case of applying plus gas into key slot, and inserting key to lubricate, and
Repeated steering wheel jiggle, but wasn't going to go (I have good experienced feel for this one), SO
- must be tumblers no doubt… I asked myself…and prayed...
Repeated lubrication, and
Tapped barrel with tack hammer (three times of course)
Inserted key, jiggled and turned just the once and, Hey, Presto! :-D

Now I've only to select and order the right Lexia interface and software, wait in for log book to arrive recorded post this week, hoof it over to Citroen HQ with a log book for the pleasure of purchasing the car's immobiliser code, return in time to open the door at the postman's knock with the alexia - complimenting him again on not treading over the flower beds I just seeded, install the software into a macintosh. Hook it up as a go-between car and key, whisper secrets, and get the two married. Then go to bed.

If you've noticed I didn't mention install windows in mac hosted virtualBOx, because I've done that earlier today…. and tested the USB port with windows running…
(also made some spaghetti and ate it). :wink:

Excited and tired, life gets just more and more interesting with every new challenge :rofl2: ; hardly compares to swapping over a new key on the old mini van.. that job's for cissiesl…… the Morris mini clubman van got arsoned by vandals - But an ignition key didn't stop them. or if so, I'd till have it.
Last edited by John Plum on 11 May 2015, 11:25, edited 2 times in total.
John Plum
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Good work on the spaghetti. It's important not to get too sucked down into the job and overlook simpler pleasures.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There used to be a place online where you could get the codes for free by entering the vin . Don't know if it's still available.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.