Xantia TD Instrument sensors?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lhm_leak
My Cars:

Xantia TD Instrument sensors?

Post by lhm_leak »

Seeing as I'm going to be getting my hands dirty this weekend I might as well see if I can make my speedo and tacho work properly again too. So, I have a couple of questions about these.
The Speedometer - does anyone know if the drive is electrical or mechanical on these cars ('95/M TD LX )? I suspect it's electrical due to the behaviour of the needle under fault conditions, but would like confirmation. If that IS the case, where is the sensor? I've had a cursory look, but can see very little in the gearbox area!
The Tachometer - I know that this is definitely an electrical feed. Again, I need to know where to find the sensor!
Thanks,
Stu.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

If you drive in reverse, and your speedo registers a positive speed then you have an electronic speedo - they just count impulses, they don't know which way you're driving! A mechanical one tends to try to go through the needle stop to register a negative speed.
Jamie
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The tacho sensor is found in a position above the fly wheel, towards the back of the gearbox/engine join. Its higher than the speedo senor and you should be able to get at it pretty easy.