SORRY C5, I WILL LEAVE HER, PLEASE TAKE ME BACK!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuckinsidethematrix
My Cars:

SORRY C5, I WILL LEAVE HER, PLEASE TAKE ME BACK!

Post by Stuckinsidethematrix »

Well guys, I thought I'd come on here, with my head slung low, carrying a big piece of humble pie and confess my shame and great mistake.

After the best part of 20 years of being 'wedded' to various French models, I was recently seduced by an attractive younger model of Japanese/English/French decent (2006 Nissan P12), and I strayed. Yes, I walked out on my C5, which I had been with for almost 5 years, and I had an affair with a 'foreiner'.

Sadly, after just 6 months in this new relationship with a model of mixed Japanese/English/French heritage (this model has all the problems of such a heritage with few if any of the benefits!) I have had nothing but regrets. What was I thinking? What have I done? How can I ever make this right and get back what I've lost?

LOL

Puns and jokes aside, I really do owe my old C5 a big appology. That car was truely superb and I seriously regret letting it go. I regret even more not replacing it with another more up to date C5 when I had the chance. I am now stuck with a car designed with all the character a Japanese computer can muster, and built by the British on a Friday afternoon using French electronics (Renault) that must have been floted accross the channel in an open box.
I'm stuck with it for at least the next 6 to 9 months because thats how long its going to take me to save up a deposit for a C5.

Seriously guys, the C5 is greatly underated. Indeed, I underrated it when I owned it, so the poor thing never really stood a chance. In hindsight, and especially in comparison to what I am currently driving, the C5 was superb. Was the C5 perfect? Of course not, no where near in fact, but in comparrison with many other cars it was much better than it was ever given credit for.

I just wanted to redress the ballance a little by singing the praises of a car that rarely gets any praise at all.

OH! Before I forget, another point often overlloked on the C5 is its galvanised body. My old C5 did not have any visible signs of corrosion ANYWARE, but my newer Nissan (which is 4 years younger and has done only half the miles of my old Citroen) has corrosion visible in many places (fortunately still hidden from casual view so wont effect resale price) which is not good for a modern car.

So, if all goes well, in a few months I'll trade in the Nissan and drive away in Citroen, and perhaps be able to hold my head up again!

So, as soon as I can afford to I'm dumping the Nissan and going back to what I know best (and will appreciate better in the future), and thats going to be a C5.
2002 Citroen C5 2.0i 16v Exc. Automatic (petrol)
2000 Citroen Xantia 1.8i 16v (petrol)
1999 Peugeot 206 1.6i 16v 'Roland-Garos' (petrol)
1998 Renault Laguna 1.8i 8v (petrol)
1992 Renault 21 2.0 8v saloon (carb petrol)
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: SORRY C5, I WILL LEAVE HER, PLEASE TAKE ME BACK!

Post by vborovic »

You sir are healed ... :D ... your sins have been cleared and you may once again enter the house of the Lord ... :P ... (not that religious really, but I've always wanted to say that) ... sadly, a lot of people don't know what they're missing with Citroens, but once they own even one, all the other cars fail in comparison (unless they really get a Citroen with more negative than positive sides, rare, but it happens)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I fear you may not have made this post if you had bought a Honda Accord. You bought the poorest imitation of a Jap car out there.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

Well, Imbought a C5, my Avatar pic, in November. Paid all of £350 and even the aircon works.

OK, had I noticed the water leaks, I may have saved the head gasket but who's fault is that?

Yup, mine. She even blew steam to try and tell me......
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

No such thing as a trouble free car
The Honda has it's problems too. Brother-in-law had an accord estate and it cost him a fortune in three years. Electrics constantly throwing up problems. Rear suspension faults shockers leaking (replaced twice) rear tyres wearing on the inside edge. Tracking set several times, suspension checked at a Honda main agent and still the tyres had to be changed every 10,000 miles. That was a 2007 car , bough six months old, so maybe they have improved.
You pays your money and you takes your chance these days.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have been running hydropnumatic Citroens for about 30 years, CX's then XMs for over 15 years but now have a C5. Its got the usual ride comfort and space but I must say I am a little dissapointed with it compared to the XM and especially with my 406 which although doesn't quite have the comfort is super to drive with precise handling and a good ride for a modern car, lots of room and utterly reliable. 235k miles now still with the original clutch and DMF and most other things.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Peter.N. wrote:I have been running hydropnumatic Citroëns for about 30 years, CX's then XMs for over 15 years but now have a C5. Its got the usual ride comfort and space but I must say I am a little dissapointed with it compared to the XM and especially with my 406 which although doesn't quite have the comfort is super to drive with precise handling and a good ride for a modern car, lots of room and utterly reliable. 235k miles now still with the original clutch and DMF and most other things.

Peter
If you can find someone with Michelin tires on their C5 (mk1/2) try a ride out in that, tires make a big difference on those cars.
Wait till you get an C5-X7 then, now that is even more different than the XM and CX...
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have no real complaints about the ride of the C5 but the 406 just handles so much better, the C5 has to think about what you have asked it to do before it does it, the response from the 406 is immediate, just gives more of a feeling of confidence and the visibility is much better.

Peter
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

qprdude wrote:No such thing as a trouble free car
The Honda has it's problems too. Brother-in-law had an accord estate and it cost him a fortune in three years. Electrics constantly throwing up problems. Rear suspension faults shockers leaking (replaced twice) rear tyres wearing on the inside edge. Tracking set several times, suspension checked at a Honda main agent and still the tyres had to be changed every 10,000 miles. That was a 2007 car , bough six months old, so maybe they have improved.
You pays your money and you takes your chance these days.

There is always a rogue car or maybe someone is being taken by a main Stealer. Take a sample of 100 Honda and 100 French. Honestly, no comparison.
I have helped out for years in a mates Garage. 5 ramp Mot station. 5 mechanics. Even allowing for the larger numbers of French cars.........they will tell you what cars they see the trouble with. Ask them about Honda's and they will tell you like it is.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had an Accord and only ever put two back boxes on it, a radiator, tyres and changed the oil and filters periodically.

On the other hand my daughter's Civic was no end of bother. As was the Astra that followed it.
Her current C3 gives very few and insignificant problems. (Lights can go a bit doolally).
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My dad's Jazz needed precisely nothing other than its normal service schedule work, one set of tyres and a set of brake pads in 10 years being abused around Athens. Not even a timing belt as it has a chain. Nothing at all ever broke on it. I have other Honda loving friends - they just work. Toyotas much the same. Nissan seem to have some issues here and there but then half of them are Renault, so it's not really a shock..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mothers Kia ....ZERO needs and its a 04 Car.....ZERO, the car has been perfect, not even a bulb

except new disks and rear calipers (she drove 10 miles with the handbrake on) with the ABS fittings/rings and a replaced headlamp+tree (but the bulb was still good)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes my mum has an 11 plate Picanto which I don't think has had anything other than an oil change every year.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mike, they amaze me these little things, true budget motoring.....does need an AirCon charge this year however....tutt tut how awful
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

They're great little cars really. If you compare then to a budget car of the 80s or 90s, they're amazing really. The plastics are a bit "cheap" but nothing has lost its coating or broken. It just goes. She had a Suzuki Jimmy for 10 years before that whixh was awfully reliable, and a Vitara for 10 years before that . That did actually break down once when the fuel pump failed after 120k miles.