Impromptu Xantia Clutch Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Impromptu Xantia Clutch Change

Post by rory_perrett »

Had clutch failure on the new (to me) Xantia, thrust bearing was pulling out of the spring plate, seems to be a failure of the spring clip. Really need the car this week to collect a load of parts and probably to sleep in over the bank holiday weekend. My fellow mechanic has been dragged off on holiday by daughter No 1 so I was on my own, never done a FWD clutch without assistance before and there is no room in the drive let alone the garage, I was going to have to do this in the street.

Anyway, the sunshine on Saturday morning gave me enough of an incentive to go for it. Well I suppose I shouldn’t say this, but for once the job went better than expected.

Following the excellent instructions on this forum I can confirm that there is enough room to change the clutch without actually removing the gearbox from the car, I suspect this was my salvation because I doubt I would have got the gearbox back in if I’d dropped it out.
Did the job in about 9 hours but I guess it’s the problem of an old car but it didn't enjoy being pulled about and when I stated it up I had a couple of LHM leaks down the back of the engine.

Clutch all sorted now but the job list doesn't get any shorter, now that I have replace the noisy front wheel bearing, and it was very noisy, I can hear a know which I suspect is a drop link – at least that’s only a 20 minute job.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Impromptu Xantia Clutch Change

Post by Timmo »

Well done sir!
i did mine last year but had the bonus of the driveway to do it on, i too read throught he threads on here several times to lodge it in the memory, all logical steps and was done,
only issue i had was on testing it whilst still on stands, wheels off, it stalled every time when clutch was up, Any gear, scratched head, checked over evertything int he engine bay, scratched head some more, Took Handbrake Off! all was good! :-D :-D :-D

Drop links should always be a 20 minute job, but always end up half a day! :-D cracke the nuts off as much as you can with weight still on them! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

I'm afraid, if the drop links are on the way out, there is no sentiment - 2 mins with an angle grinder and cutting disc and their off!!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

rory_perrett wrote:I'm afraid, if the drop links are on the way out, there is no sentiment - 2 mins with an angle grinder and cutting disc and their off!!!
i always find thats the quickest cure for drop link removal,
i usually cut down through the length of the swivel pin so it splits the nut in two halves,
but mind you dont go through the nut fully and cut into the anti roll bar or strut bracket
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Malcolm

That sounds like a top tip I might try it rather than coming at it the other way and cutting the nut and thread off which is my usual approach.

Rory