Picasso C3 Airbag Module removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Phatbox

Picasso C3 Airbag Module removal

Post by Phatbox »

Hi All
Here's hoping somebody can offer advice, I have been given a Leather steering wheel for my C3 Picasso VTR+ and would like to fit to my car, but question is how do I remove the airbag module to get at the nut holding the steering wheel. There is a big metal clip on the new wheel which I assume holds the airbag in place but not sure how to get at it. I assume I will need to disconnect the battery to avoid setting the bag off but beyond that I'm stuck. Any advice gratefully received. Also if I disconnect the battery does the radio need a code when I reconnect everything as I cannot find one in any of the paperwork that came with the car.
Many thanks in advance.
TonyR.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Picasso C3 Airbag Module removal

Post by RichardW »

Hi Tony, Welcome!

There should be holes in the back of the steering wheel which will allow you to insert a small screwdriver and spring the clip, whilst pulling the airbag forwards at the same time - doing all 3 in turn without it popping back in. Great fun :lol:

You need to be a bit careful with the battery. Open the bonnet and close all the doors, then wait at least 3 minutes before disconnecting. When you reconnect, pop the battery back on, wait a minute or so before opening a door, then switch on the lights for a min or so, before switching on the ignition, then waiting another minute or so before starting the engine. No need for a radio code.
Richard W
Phatbox

Re: Picasso C3 Airbag Module removal

Post by Phatbox »

Hi RichardW
Thanks for the information, looking at the new wheel I realised just one big clip holding the airbag in place operated with a flat bladed screwdriver. I managed to get the airbag off but was unable to determine how to disconnect the wiring it all seemed to be designed not to be unclipped so back to square one. May speak to local Citroen dealer where I bought the car see what they suggest! Unless anyone can advise how to disconnect the airbag and horn wiring.
TonyR