ZX Exhaust Manifold

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MountainMan
My Cars:

ZX Exhaust Manifold

Post by MountainMan »

My ZX TD has just started 'blowing rasberries' from the rear of the engine, which leads me to think a new manifold gasket is required. Looking at the bolts / studs needing removal fills me with dread, it certainly looks like they have never been touched in 12 years. Can anyone advise on how this should be attemted without the potential of wrecking my head.
Cheers.
MTMN
P.s. Already buying shares in WD40[:D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sure its not the flexible gasket between the manifold and the downpipe?? Its a much more likely cause of failure than the manifold gasket itself. I've only ever changed one of these when I've had to take the head off for other reasons, and then removed the manifold and turbo complete (on the bench). Last time I did this, all the suds/bolts came out OK (with great care).
BTW its one big gasket that does both inlet and exhaust ports.
In situ its a bit of a nightmare to do this.[B)] As I say, get underneath and check the manifold to downpipe join first.
MountainMan
My Cars:

Post by MountainMan »

Thanks Jon
I am fairly certain its the mainifold gasket as the frequency of the noise indicates the cycle of one cylinder rather than four combined, but will get underneath to make sure.
Another symptom that I deduce could mean a blowing gasket, when it started the engine would need a few cycles to start rather than near instant, now it also runs very rough for the first few seconds (as on 3 cylinders possibly) until its given a good poke with the accelerator or run for a bit.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

I changed the Standard Manifold to a GMC 4-1 on my AX and that was fairly easy, might be best to see if you can get hold of a new set of nuts as the ones that were on mine were pretty mullered. if i can do it then anyone can! its just a case of making sure that all remnents of the old gasket have gone and the block is nice n clean and bobs your uncle..[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

MTMN -
As I allways had to live with older cars - the studbolt problem should not be feared that much. The worst scenario is when a studbolt shears just level with (or under) the surface - which they rarely do on alloy heads.
Either the nuts comes off surprisingly easy - or the studbolt winds out by a stuck nut.
It's important to use good quality tools - i.e. clean 6edged sokets/keys - preferrably the later type round corner. 12edged tools is simply asking for trouble !
Any studbolt problem - procedure/advice solving this would be found here anyway [8D]