Pug 206 1.1 Questions/Advice

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Pug 206 1.1 Questions/Advice

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi Folks

Couple of questions relating to the little Pug 206 1.1 I bought for my daughter. Its a 51 reg Y plate, 63k miles. Base model - no frills. Its just had £450 spent on new exhaust, brake pads, front suspension arms, strut top bearings, tyres and came with a years MOT. Have so far been underneath and rust proofed what was looking like it might be problematic, serviced filters etc. Rear axle looks fine. Clutch a biting on the carpet so reckon might be on its last legs, but gears change ok. I thought £750 was ok for it as bodily its almost mint.

N/S driver door mirror (manual) has been broken and held on with duck tape. I see these on E-bay for around £20. Does the body colour bit clip off or do they need to be painted in the right colour before fitting?

Other question is regarding the cambelt. I don't know when it was last don, but I am guessing that it has been done bearing in mind it is a 14 year old car and there is evidence of servicing from the new airfilter and aux belt. I want to change it so that I start with a known quantity. My question is, is it easier than the XUD diesels which I have done previously? Access looks better, not to mention the smaller cam cover. Think I will change the waterpump at the same time.(although no leaks just now!)

front seats are very ripped at the side of the squab - is this normal? Will look for replacement front seats or even a complete interior if that's easier.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Alan
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Pug 206 1.1 Questions/Advice

Post by spider »

99% sure the cover comes off these mirrors, need to take the glass out to release the clips though.

Timing belt quite easy, manual tensioner however.

In some regards not that far off XUD that you've done, there is a hole (difficult to see and its smaller) in the crankcase to pin the flywheel, same as the XUD method. Cam sprocket is pinned the same way although the pin does not screw into it really. Tensioner is manual and you just need a square to turn it after undoing it. Recommend changing the tensioner or at least take it off (one nut) and spin it by hand to check it.

Crank pulley comes off easy, three or four 10mm or 13mm bolts and it drops off. Do not undo centre large nut ( ! ) :)

Front seat wear not uncommon especially on later models. Slightly earlier ones (R/S/T) seemed to sometimes fair better but 99% of this is down to previous owners I guess.

EDIT... Clutch could well be manual adjustment examine cable fitting in engine bay underneath battery.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks spider

Had a look at the cable for the clutch and it looks like its an autoadjuster like on my Xantia. The cable end has no nuts . I adjusted free play at the pedal end. The gears are a bit notchy, but I believe the change on these boxes is not very slick anyway. Will have a bash on the timing belt in the next couple of weekends.

Cheers
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You're welcome.

Compared to the BE3 units (for the XUD etc) the smaller box's the MA units do feel a bit notchy yes. Is there too much play in it ?

A common but often overlooked cause of play is the two tiny bushes fitted into the base of the gearlever, I recall on mine I changed the linkages (they were worn to be fair) but it was still sloppy until I investigated the bushes in the lever. Easy enough to change from inside the car, just require a cable tie to hold the linkage up (other wise it will fall onto the road)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG