Xantia Front Caliper repair kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Xantia Front Caliper repair kit

Post by MikeT »

It's been a long time since I fitted new pads and this year's MOT advised they (and front flexis) were worn so I'm gearing up to replace those. New pads, springs, pins and hoses ordered.

However, I have a vague memory of one of the piston seals/covers being malformed as winding that piston back in showed it was not retracting neatly with the piston (though the brakes have functioned perfectly since) and will most likely be worse this time round. As money is the biggest factor for me, do I go for complete overhaul kits and do both calipers or can I get away with just repacing the one single boot (bearing in mind I don't plan to keep the Xantia much longer)? Haynes doesn't give me a caliper overhaul guide (says refer to kit instructions) so not sure how much dismantling is required to replace just this one seal.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia Front Caliper repair kit

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This lot are good for caliper kits, if you need one;

http://www.biggred.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:This lot are good for caliper kits, if you need one;

http://www.biggred.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That'll probably be the next question - to get kit with or without pistons and best price(s).
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Got parts (pads, pins, springs and hoses) now but I'm still concerned about this piston seal/boot that awaits me and if it'll need replacing once I've got the car dismantled. I can't find single seals to buy but even if I bought a full caliper service kit, is it possible to replace this single item without having to fully dismantle the caliper? Would be good if I could just wind out the piston, clean, fit new seal and wind back in without delaying the work by having to fully refurbish a pair of calipers.

Photo for illustration purpose (might not be same as mine but piston/seal looks similar).

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have not taken one of these calipers apart before, but i think the dust seal/boot on at the piston side of the caliper, is fitted into a groove in the caliper body whilst the piston is removed
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citronut wrote:i have not taken one of these calipers apart before, but i think the dust seal/boot on at the piston side of the caliper, is fitted into a groove in the caliper body whilst the piston is removed
Probably. Just hoping that if it does require attention there may be a way to do it in-situ to save work/time but it's unlikely and if the caliper has to come off and be part-dismantled to remove the piston, might as well overhaul completely and, of course, one can't do just one side so double the pain. #-o