Brake caliper worry

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blademonkey

Brake caliper worry

Post by blademonkey »

hi folks,im looking for some info on how to properly fit new front brake calipers to my 2004 citroen c5 2.0 hdi vtr,it says on the box that caliper is factory preset and the handbrake lever must not be touched prior to fitting.
I have been reading on various forums of the scare stories people have had when fitting front brake calipers and I am a bit worried about not doing this correctly,can anyone please give me some clear and precise info on how to fit these calipers and also how to bleed the brake system in the right way.
many thanks.(apprehensive diy mechanic)
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: Brake caliper worry

Post by chinkostu »

I think if you moved the arm it would just try and adjust the mechanism inside the caliper. Not sure if thats a massive issue as you can rewind the piston?
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The only thing to watch is that you adjust the handbrake cables so that the caliper lever is not being pulled at all when the handbrake is off, and avoid moving the lever until the caliper and pads are fitted.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would fit them and the pads then bleed them with the cables disconnected/unhooked, then press the brake pedal very hard two or three times, this will set/adjust up the hand brake mechanism inside the caliper,
then reattach the cables and adjust them up tilkl just before they start pulling on the lever
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
blademonkey

Post by blademonkey »

Thanks for the replies folks,I will fit calipers without connecting up the handbrake cables like u all advised and then bleed my brakes,does anyone know the correct bleeding procedure for my car,as I have always bled my past cars starting furthest away from the master cylinder and working around car back to front caliper again,and also does the car engine have to be on,thanks again.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Unless you have a diagnostic tool that can activate the abs pump make sure that you do not let the master cylinder go empty. Keep it topped up throughout. I the abs pump airlocks it can be difficult to bleed. This applies to most cars and vans nowadays.
blademonkey

Post by blademonkey »

Thanks bx,I will keep an eye on the master cylinder and make sure I keep topping it up during bleeding.Do u know if I have to keep the engine switched on during bleeding. Many thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use one of these

http://tinyurl.com/o45lsxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i believe the likes of Hal frauds and scewfix sell these as well

no pedal up down up down up down up down up down up down up down up down , just connect it up with the correct quantity of fluid in the bottle and air in the trye your using
Regards, malcolm.

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

blademonkey wrote:does anyone know the correct bleeding procedure for my car,as I have always bled my past cars starting furthest away from the master cylinder and working around car back to front caliper again,and also does the car engine have to be on,thanks again.
EDIT: Sorry, missed the fact yours is C5. Might be different to Xantia procedure (which is what I've quoted below).

My Haynes manual says the correct order is LH-Front, RH-Front, LH-Rear, RH-Rear.

If you're only disturbing the front circuits, you can even ignore bleeding the rears to save time.

Set the suspension to HIGH and have someone (or something) apply brake pedal pressure (engine running) then bleed until no air bubbles are seen being emmited. Ensure the hydraulic fluid is maintained above the MIN mark at all times to avoid it sucking air in through the reservoir. Once complete, top up LHM to correct level.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

MikeT wrote:
blademonkey wrote:does anyone know the correct bleeding procedure for my car,as I have always bled my past cars starting furthest away from the master cylinder and working around car back to front caliper again,and also does the car engine have to be on,thanks again.
EDIT: Sorry, missed the fact yours is C5. Might be different to Xantia procedure (which is what I've quoted below).

My Haynes manual says the correct order is LH-Front, RH-Front, LH-Rear, RH-Rear.

If you're only disturbing the front circuits, you can even ignore bleeding the rears to save time.

Set the suspension to HIGH and have someone (or something) apply brake pedal pressure (engine running) then bleed until no air bubbles are seen being emmited. Ensure the hydraulic fluid is maintained above the MIN mark at all times to avoid it sucking air in through the reservoir. Once complete, top up LHM to correct level.
Do NOT use LHM, as this is for green blooded Citroens. What you need is LDS, which is, AFAIK, orange. Other than that, OK.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
MikeT wrote:

Do NOT use LHM, as this is for green blooded Citroëns. What you need is LDS, which is, AFAIK, orange. Other than that, OK.
That's wrong the braking system on the C5 is separate to the suspension and requires brake fluid, not LHM or LDS. The handbook suggests using only fluid supplied by the dealer but DOT 4 fluid is the generic type.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Oops, sorry about that error. I didn't realise that the brakes on a C5 were no longer part of the same system as used by the suspension and steering (as they were on earlier green blooded Citroens), but I knew that LHM was the wrong fluid to use.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes James
the XANT is the last proper hydraulic citroen
Regards, malcolm.

BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The Gunshots easibleed as recommended by Citronut is indeed very useful and good value for money. However the advice regarding the abs still stands. If you let it airlock you really need a suitable diagnostic tool to bleed it. Otherwise you may end up with either a spongy pedal or a pedal that creeps down if you keep your foot on it.
The c5 uses standard brake fluid DOT4.
As you are not going to allow air into the brake lines it doesn't matter whither you do the left or right hand one first. It is probably better to complete the job on one side before starting the other one.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

and use a

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=brake+pipe+clamp&tbm=shop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as this will make sure you dont allow air back up the circuit,

brakes are normally dual circuit these days so obviously if you allow too much fluid out whilst the flexi is disconnected, the opposite read will require bleeding as well
Regards, malcolm.