Please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Please help

Post by louis1 »

Hi
I have a 1993 zx td and have recently changed the matrix on the car. I also have a 1998 xantia Exclusive the one with the different dash to the older ones. The matrix has now gone on this car, how much harder/differnet is it to do than the ZX berring in mind it has air con, air bags, etc.
Thank Louis
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Louis - use the search button upper right - your problem is a hi runner here [8D]
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

I have now reed all the other posts and i now have a good idea,but how much harder/easier is it to do than the ZX?
thanks Louis
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Louis, I have recently changed the matrix on one of my Xantias and can vouch that it is a very unpleasant task due to getting access to the four nuts at the rear of the engine/LHM tank, removing the heater pipe/matrix connection (best done at the start of the job with the coolant hot) and the sheer number of parts needing removal to gain access to the matrix. People are not joking when they say the matrix is the first item fitted to the bodyshell. I would make sure that you can dedicate two long days to the job.
The Haynes manual only gives you about 75% of the information required to do the job, it also states that you should remove the handbrake cables, not necessary, doesn't mention the need to lift the felt on the base of the glovebox in order to gain access to the hidden screw, and I don't believe it mentions the difference between the old/newer dash.
As far as the difference between doing a ZX and Xantia matrix, colleagues who had them go were charged more than twice as much for doing the Xantia by the same garage.
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

I have the time to do the job but i worry about things like the air bags, and when i finish will it all fit back as it was. What items from under the bonnet have to be removed to gain access to the nuts that hold the dash on?
Also which xantia did you replace the matrix?
Thanks Louis
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Louis, I replaced the matrix on my 98 estate, which is the last of the mark one Xantias.
Under the bonnet you need to remove the black scuttle panel below the windscreen then loosen the wiper mechanism although you don't need to remove it from the recess. You also need to remove the LHM tank.
There are four nuts rather than I think the three that Haynes describes. You then possibly need to remove engine intake pipes at the back of the engine to get access to the matrix/heater pipe connection which on mine was very tight, so much so that I used leverage on it and broke it, in a way this made the job easier because it wasn't moving at all and you cannot get a good strong grip on it due to the position behind the engine. I would recommend trying to remove this at the start of the job whilst the pipes are hot as this may help removal. The cost of replacing this pipe is about £65 from Citroen.
Iv'e removed quite a few airbags and never had a problem, I just make sure the ignition is turned off and that I'm not 'charged up' with static by grounding myself on the car body and ground before hand. You could also disconnect the battery to be sure. The passenger airbag is retained by way of a metal clip secured with triangular headed nuts but I managed to remove these using a small socket.
Whenever I removed an item I placed it on the floor with all of its screws/nuts. I must say the sheer number of parts was both quite impressive if a little frightening, but a month later everything is back together and working without a problem.
One of the hardest parts of the job was actually getting the dash back in because of all of the various electrical wires/heater control wires, trying to make sure that they run correctly without obstruction. Don't forget to position the tweeter speaker wires at the top of the dash because there is very little slack in the length of the wire and you will have to remove the dash again............
Never be afriad to take time and get a second opinion if you can because I had the dash out about four times, I would just start to think that I had 'cracked' the job when misery struck again. Luckily I had only got a little way each time when I discovered the problem.
Patience with this job is very necessary, good luck!