Storing a Xantia fot 6 months any advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Storing a Xantia fot 6 months any advice

Post by charentejohn »

I may be selling my Xantia (2001 model) to a neighbour who is only here on holiday a few times a year. Typically the car could be in the garage for 3-6 months at any one time.
I know it sinks about 5cm if left for a few days then stops at that level. All sound underneath as no rust at all so height correctors have been no trouble.

But, is there a best way to store it for a long time ? Is it better left in normal height mode or put into Low position to remove all pressure. Or should it be on blocks about 5cm below the car to allow it to sink a bit. Also should the battery be disconnected or will that distress the electronics.
Just concerned that I sell it and 6 months later it won't work properly if left standing.

If storage is a problem I will just sell it to someone else (I hope) who uses it regularly.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Northern_Mike

Re: Storing a Xantia fot 6 months any advice

Post by Northern_Mike »

If he's only here a few times a year surely it's cheaper and more sensible for him just to hire a car, rather than mess about with insurance, tax etc? I'd sell it to someone who will look after it and use it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Not really economical as, for example, 3 months of short term car hires will cost quite a bit. This is to replace a car they had which died.
Good old France has no car tax so makes more sense here I think, cost of the car which will have a 2 year CT (Mot) and then only insurance to pay for so cars here as they say 'eat no corn'. I had a van I used on an off, mainly off, for 2 years. Kept it as useful and only cost was cheap insurance. Different in the UK as must be taxed and risk of Mot failure each year would make a difference.
Once the car hits it's current value here (About £900-1000) it will stay at that until it is only fit for parts so I would guess could be sold in four years time for £500+ ?

Just wondered as to problems/damage to these cars if left to sink to the floor over many months as much for the car's sake as theirs. They like the car and would look after it but it would not be good if after 4 months not moving they keep getting repair bills.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

A trickle charger on the battery would be a good idea, even one of the cheap solar chargers on ebay will keep up with the small leakage current.
It is probably best for the life of the spheres to leave the suspension on low, the tyres would hold their shape better with blocks of wood placed under the jacking points (before dropping the suspension).

I don't think the Xantia will suffer any more than other cars.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

charentejohn wrote:
Just wondered as to problems/damage to these cars if left to sink to the floor over many months as much for the car's sake as theirs. They like the car and would look after it but it would not be good if after 4 months not moving they keep getting repair bills.
That being the case, if it's in good order, I see no problems with it - David Hallworth stores his Activa and other Citroens and uses them sparingly, and they always seem to survive not being used pretty well.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I like the wooden blocks under the jacking points idea, the solar panel on the roof or dash is a great idea too. I quite fancy a cover if its going to be outside.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, that sounds ok to me.
I am here to keep an eye on it so and usually drop them at the station and come back with the car and park it, so I can do the above blocks and lowering before leaving it.
I like the trickle charge idea, I have one of these smart battery conditioning chargers for the mower which gets left over winter. Not expensive and could be left on to keep the electrics on and battery in good condition generally.

Saddo that I am a feel for abused machinery and, despite a few problems needing fixing recently, the car has been a star and I didn't want it to be damaged unnecessarily. It has years left, just hope it's C3 replacement is as good over time.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I store my Xantia Activa and XM for approximately 6 months of the year. They get used very sparingly over the summer (Xantia did 700 miles last year, the XM did 1000), and from around October > April they do nothing as they're being kept away from the salt.

My Activa I always drop to it's lowest suspension level but the XM I don't for some reason. Not really sure why!

They do get started during the winter and warmed through in the winter, as well as moved in and out of the shed when I need access to the ramp. This year though it's only been 2 or 3 times in 6 months that they've been running though.

My Activa actually sat garaged for about 6 years and did about 50 miles in those 6 years going to it's MOT and back twice. When I decided to start using it again I put the battery back on it and drove it out of the shed, gave it a wash and a quick once over and sent it in for MOT.

When I initially drive them after winter they sometimes feel a little stiff, but after a few miles the suspension becomes nice and soft again.

I've never used a trickle charger or solar panel on any of mine, I just disconnect the batteries when they're sitting in the shed.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks David, good to know they can be stored ok if needs be by someone who has done it with no ill effects.
I think I would opt for the drop to lowest level option for no particular reason other than it means it won't sink over time. It would end up low by choice rather than default.
I guess the electronics on these aren't so bad and a reset when the battery has been off for a wile may be a good thing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

HI
Just remember Davids is a well looked after car, only used dry and serviced/inspected....

and wet driven, normal serviced and never looked at car, one that is stored dirty/wet/mud will NOT keep well.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting