1.9 d 206 Rev Counter and AC Problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

1.9 d 206 Rev Counter and AC Problem

Post by Edhertz »

Hi,
Just wondering if there is someone out there who has had experience of what is going on with my Pug. For some time now the rev counter has not functioned nor has the ac. I noticed the rev counter sometimes kicks in during spells of wet weather and not during dry weather. I have also discovered that the ac works when the rev counter is on suggesting there is a common shared by two, possibly on the exposed underside of the car. The only common I can see is on a diagnostic socket 8 on diagram 3 in Haynes. Anyone any suggestions? The ac light turns on and off and works fine when it is running. Just to add that I've checked chassis connections and moved wire harnesses but no joy.
Thanks in advance
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 1.9 d 206 Rev Counter and AC Problem

Post by spider »

I'd start with examining the TDC sensor for it. The plastic 'holder' can come adrift sometimes or the plastic self tapper (from memory) that holds it together as a clamp can wear, that may explain the intermittent lack of tacho as it needs to be positioned just right to work. Also check the wiring for it and unplug it and check the condition inside of the plug/socket as it can get corroded in some cases.

Regarding the A/C I'm not really sure what to suggest apart from unplugging the compressor clutch and checking the plug / socket for corrosion initially.

I'm not sure they are related. I did think abuot it going into 'limp home' mode and shutting the AC off but that seems a bit far fetched.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

A common link is both go via the BSI. The big multiplugs on the BSI can be prone to corrosion on pins at this mileage. Simple job to remove each in turn, spray with contact cleaner and work them in and out a bit to clean surfaces. Don't forget BSI Protocols - switch off, open bonnet and wait 3 minutes before doing anything else. On completion, switch on ignition wait a couple of minutes without starting as some BSI plug removals will clear memories so the BSI needs time to both shut down and re-learn

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

spider wrote:I'd start with examining the TDC sensor for it. The plastic 'holder' can come adrift sometimes or the plastic self tapper (from memory) that holds it together as a clamp can wear, that may explain the intermittent lack of tacho as it needs to be positioned just right to work. Also check the wiring for it and unplug it and check the condition inside of the plug/socket as it can get corroded in some cases.

Regarding the A/C I'm not really sure what to suggest apart from unplugging the compressor clutch and checking the plug / socket for corrosion initially.

I'm not sure they are related. I did think abuot it going into 'limp home' mode and shutting the AC off but that seems a bit far fetched.
The dw8 runs like a bag of **** if the TDC is gone.

My rev counter kicks in and out all the time, engine runs and my bros diagnoatics shows the revs working fine. Usually the clocks themselves go faulty
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I've worked my way round the list of things to try but alas the problem is still with me. I'll crack this one eventually and hopefully soon,
Alan
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver