Halfords. Not surprised really

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Halfords. Not surprised really

Post by qprdude »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32283758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Halfords. Not surprised really

Post by Zelandeth »

Doesn't surprise me at all.

...still tempted sometime to go in there and ask them to check the oil in the Skoda and see how long it takes them to find the engine...

Remember a good few years back when the Lada Samara I had at the time decided completely without warning to part company with a significant portion of its exhaust system. Kwik-Fit was my only real option at the time due to location, time of day and trying to get to college. They duly sorted the bust clamp, then told me my rear brake pipes were badly corroded and that my discs were worn.

...I had rebuilt the entire braking system including all pipes, new discs, new calipers etc roughly a month beforehand. I think the only bits I reused (the car had been sitting for a few years) were the drums.

Suffice to say I had a few choice words with the manager. Got a nice bundle of vouchers (£150 from memory) and a full service (which I watched be done), and a free set of tyres out of it. Apparently the mechanic in question left with his P45 that afternoon as well.

Think they learned a valuable lesson that day in that some car enthusiasts who do their own maintenance do drive Ladas!
Last edited by Zelandeth on 15 Apr 2015, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

My late Father had full service of his 5 cylinder Passet at the VW dealer in Salisbury...he moaned when I got home that it was starting badly and ran lumpy..

I had to change plugs, 3 had 3/5mm of electrode left with no curved bit remaining ! ,the points where like the Himalayas ..
All fixed we took the car down and saw the manager who started to tell my Dad (total ignoring me) about the quality checks blah blah, cannot think why but he looked shocked when I dropped 5 plugs and a set of points on his polished mahogany desk from two feet high, they bounced well :)

Full re service and one in the bank.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

This problem as stickyfinger pointed out isn't unique to the fast fit boys as main stealers are every bit just as bad....

I used Halfords in Motherwell once, many years ago, when my BX packed in as it was towed there by the AA as it had an AA breakdown warranty and Halfirds where AA approved... turned out to be a faulty vacuum advance unit so they ordered a new on in..... none anywhere in the UK according to Citroen and on back order, it took Citroen more than two weeks to obtain the unit.... The AA removed my hire car from me as I was only entitled to one whilst my car was being worked on and NOT when it was off the road due to waiting on parts.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Friend of ours used to have a Mehari.
She went to one of those "free test" things at Halfords; the results included "Coolant hoses need replacing and new antifreeze"!!
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

uhn113x wrote:Friend of ours used to have a Mehari.
She went to one of those "free test" things at Halfords; the results included "Coolant hoses need replacing and new antifreeze"!!

:rofl2:
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

not unlike needing the valves doing on a 3 cyl wartburg.....
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

or the Rad leaking in your Beetle
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting