Had enough of drop links?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Had enough of drop links?

Post by elma »

I'm wondering if I can do a better job than the drop links available right now. 10years ago I remember them being a bit of a pain, now they're pointless. My latest one managed about 250miles before it started knocking. I've tried getting Lemforder ones as suggested on here but ECP, the only stockist I can find, apparently only do them in M12.

So having seen these I figure I can probably make a better Xantia one in the same style.

The bits are all found rod,Top joint, bottom joint and bottom joint clevis. Would just need 3 nuts plus 2 bolts and hopefully theres a solid drop link for about £25 to £30 a side.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Had enough of drop links?

Post by RichardW »

I bought some Myele heavy duty ones, which seem to have lasted well - not sure you can get them for the early cars mind you.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly if the Lemforder ones you bought from that bunch have only lasted 250 miles i would take them straight back, or better still offer them directly to Lemforder ( http://www.zf.com/eu/content/en/great_b ... epage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) so they can check to see if the ones you bought are fake,

on the home build ones you might find they will end up being to bulky and fowl on other components
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I agree with Malc.............it is a material failure not a design fault...."Best is best" with this item so "Spend to Save"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I haven't tried lemforder, they can only supply m12, my cars m10 and I don't want to drill the roll bar or tabs. Eurocaeparts website does list them for my car but they send m12 and the staff can only get the rubbish ones in m10 as replacements.

If anyone can point me toward a supplier I'll probably give them a whirl. Failing that I'll be making my version up, I have measured the area and am confident that it will fit. I still have a front centre sphere and rear brake discs to buy so I'll think about this a bit longer until after they are done.

Just realised that the size of it will fit the 3d printer I'm making with a friend, I'll print one to see how good the fit is.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The originals are still available from Citroen apparently:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
96145457 BAR LINK 59.74 GBP 71.69 GBP 71.69 GBP

:shock: :rofl2:

I got the Meyle ones from http://carpartscentreuk.co.uk/ Meyle appear to list the early type: M10 Drop link and they're showing as available if you put the Meyle number in....
Richard W
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

For steering and suspension parts for most makes
Moog
Swag
Meyle
Feb bilstein.
I have found all of these to be generally good, usually surviving over 100,000KM on West of Ireland roads. I have seen some of them outlast the originals.
Be very careful not to damage the boot by allowing the threaded pin to twist or get nicked. I also know some brands I learned not to fit. Beware of certain green boxes, certain red boxes and clear plastic bags. Also be careful where you buy as I believe that even aftermarket car parts are not immune to counterfeiting.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Is there potential for turning down the M12 ones to M10?
Probably not possible without dismantling the baljoint, then there's gettng the taper right...just a thought!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dnsey wrote:Is there potential for turning down the M12 ones to M10?
Probably not possible without dismantling the baljoint, then there's gettng the taper right...just a thought!
i would think not as you say without dissasmbling then,

these swivel pins are not tapered
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

My mistake - of course they're not :oops:
That's why they are such a pain to remove sometimes - a taper would stop them turning if held under tension.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As the usual failure is just the rubber worn out has anyone thought about refilling the joints? Some vulcanising compound maybe or something from the huge Loctite range.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Gibbo2286 wrote:As the usual failure is just the rubber worn out has anyone thought about refilling the joints? Some vulcanising compound maybe or something from the huge Loctite range.
I am "discussing" this with a Pollybush maker ATM.....it will take some time so not tomorrow
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting