xantia fitted radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hubcap

xantia fitted radio

Post by hubcap »

Hi There,I wonder does anyone out there know if there is an amplifier fitted between the aerial and the radio for FM reception in a xantia. Recently the factory fitted radio in my xantia has developed very weak fm reception (the AM reception is quite strong on all stations) And whilst the high powered bbc stations are ok on fm, the weaker local radio stations have disappeared into a sea of hiss.The aerial is probably ok since the A M reception is perfect even on distant stations. I was just wondering if there was an external amplifier before pulling out the radio.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

Take a look at the arial on the roof, mine's all corroded and I suffer from weak local fm stations as well (It's on my to-do list [:)])
mipster
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Not 100% sure, but I don't think there is an amplifier in the aerial circuit - the cable run isn't long enough to justify having one. Bad FM reception seems to be a problem with some Xantias (My petrol one is c**p, the diesel is good - with the same head unit swapped between cars.) Look for corrosion at the aerial mounting and water ingress to the cable - both are the kiss of death to VHF radio signals. If water (or moisture of any kind) has got into the cable it will need replaced, there's no other option. Also, if the (coaxial) cable becomes kinked or crushed, it is possible to completely destroy it internally, so check the routing too.
The plug at the back of the head unit is not particularly great, it's possible that it's worked loose causing a bad earth connection - the outer braiding of the aerial cable MUST be soundly earthed in order for the cable to do its job.
AM reception probably won't be too badly affected by a duff aerial or cable - a scabby piece of wet string will work at those frequencies!!
Hope this is of (some) help.
Stu.
( UK Radio Amateur since 1988!!)
hubcap

Post by hubcap »

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. Now the rub, if it is the aerial, has anyone any tips on the easiest way of getting the thing off the roof. It seems the only way i can get at the aerial securing bolt is by pulling the headcloth back (which i'm loathed to do). Is there any other way of getting to it without the risk of butchering the headcloth?