C5 EVILS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DeanPesticcio

C5 EVILS

Post by DeanPesticcio »

I am the recent owner of a Citroen C5 VTR PLUS NAV HDI (2010) 1.6 diesel estate, manual, 046000 miles.
I have a few questions for C5 owners, having spoken to Citroen garages a few ‘warnings’ have been mentioned during conversation, and some problems I already have, and as this is my first C5 I’d like to get a feel of what I am in for: Has anyone found heavy tyre wear on the inside if the tread at low milage, power steering seals failing at low mileage, sat nav screen switching off mid route, crank shaft oil seals leaking oil over the aux belts, and I have been advised to change the engine oil & filter every 6 months, regardless to mileage as the engine could seize. Any thoughts ..
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5 EVILS

Post by vborovic »

The tire wear was already discussed on the forum, I think no solid conclusions have been drawn from it ... depending on the sat nav type, maybe a software update can be of help (if you don't have the newer firmware on it), the switching off might happen due to unit overheating ... oil & filter, no, not really, unless you do 15-20k miles in 6 months ... as for the other points, let's wait for other members' responses
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

A 1.6hdi I would change oil every 6 to 8 months or 6000 to 8000 miles, and use the recommended oil and nothing else. This is due to turbos giving up on these engines. There are others on here with first hand information on this, I don't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

As said above, I change my oil every 5-8000 miles, simply to avoid turbo starvation, I use the total quatz ineo ecs 5w 30.
I get this from ebay, for £48.00
As for tyre wear I'm not 100% sure as I do lots off mileage every year 25k.
I havent hear about the crank shaft seals or anything I am always checking new posts on here for more information, regarding problems with these engines, and I haven't came across that one yet.

I have only owed my car for just under a year now week the x7 type, with not many problems at all, except every now and then I get the anti pollution message come up, first time was a fuel filter and second time was, the dpf needed to regen so I drove like a mad Italian for 50-60 miles that sorted the beast.

I had the facelift 1.6hdi with no problems at all, just regular servicing seamed all it needed.

Dan
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

I have a 2009 'X7' 1.6 Hdi, which has now got around 110,000 miles on it.

I would agree with the need to change the oil and filter every 6000 miles or so, only using the correct fully synthetic Total Ineo ECS oil. (I have done this since I bought the car and so far have no sign of turbo issues or any build-up of dirt in the engine.)

You will need to keep an eye on the tightness of the bolts holding the injectors in place, re-tightening them to around 10ft/lb if they are loose. However, be aware that these are torque-to-yield bolts and care needs to be taken with them - there are threads on here discussing this.

The cables that wind the windows up and down can corrode, but a cheap kit can be bought off e-bay to replace them, and if you are handy doing so is not too bad as a DIY job. (Again there is a lot of info on here about doing this.)

Unlike the first generation FAP systems, you can expect to get perhaps 120,000 miles before refilling the additive tank / cleaning or replacing the filter. (This applies to my 'Airdream' version, although others might possibly use more additive. Even so, topping up the tank is easy, although you need Lexia / Diagbox to reset the computer.)

A lot of people, me included, have found that the clutch / dual mass flywheel unit needs changing after 75,000 miles or so. I did this myself and the total cost including a new OE-specification DMF was about £400.

So far, I have had no other issues arise.

Hope that helps!
DeanPesticcio

Post by DeanPesticcio »

Thankyou for your replies.