Mark 1 Citroen C4 Tie Rod Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chris m
New User

Mark 1 Citroen C4 Tie Rod Replacement

Post by chris m »

Hi all,
this my first post on this site so apologies if I ramble on a little but hope to get some sound advice. I intend to change the tie rods and tie rod ends after an advisory on my last MOT. I am happy replacing the ends as they are straight forward but looking for anyone who has replaced the tie rods successfully. If possible could anyone answer the following questions,
1 did you need a specific tool to screw off the tie rod or could you access it with mole grips or the like?
2 on full lock with the rack coming out towards you do you get a good access to the ball joint as access appears to be very limited?
Any other thoughts or advice regarding this job and whats the access really like doing the job. Even buying a specific removal tool the whole jobs comes out at £60 ish with a garage charging £190 including wheel tracking once the jobs done so seems worth it.

thanks for any advice.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: Mark 1 Citroen C4 Tie Rod Replacement

Post by chinkostu »

do the rods need changing? the ends are easy, especially if you're replacing as you can just go to town on them with a balljoint splitter!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
chris m
New User

Re: Mark 1 Citroen C4 Tie Rod Replacement

Post by chris m »

the ends are ok with no play but seem worth changing doing such a big job while the rods are off. The play is in the ball joint at the rack end so definitely need changing, thanks