ZX creaking gear change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mijyou
My Cars:

ZX creaking gear change

Post by mijyou »

Hi,
I am getting a creaking noise from the gear lever when taking it out of 1st and 2nd gear. Just had a look in the Haynes manual and spotted the gear change lever pivot ball, do you think it could be this gone dry?
Thanks
Jim
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes [:)]
Citroen seems to use ball links in the gearchange to most models.
These links dry out over time - making for faster wear and funny creaks.
Unhook the link - rub down any rust on the ball - then use a fat sticky multi-purpose grease.
If the link unhooks TOO easy - then you better start looking for a spare - as a missing gearchange linkage in the middle of a roundabout is absolutely no fun [:D]
mijyou
My Cars:

Post by mijyou »

Thanks for the reply
To get at this do i have to take the whole linkage off from the gearbox back?
Cheers
Jim
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No -
Lift the car on safety stands - then work on the linkage from below.
Do NOT try remove anything OFF the box - just unhook the linkages.
Some boxes have a nasty tendency to have the gearchange out of mesh - if you try remove the bits on the box. A rather scaring job refitting.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

nooo anders theres far worse times. ie whilst doing a sprint event at Lotus cars test track 2 years ago in my visa. Drove 180 miles there. Start practise run get to 3rd corner and went for 3rd gear and hmm, ok, 4th? nope....rolled to a stop and bought out the red flag. Got towed back to the pits. Got it up in the air and precedded to fix using cable ties. Was fine for 3 more events like that :D
cable ties....the universal fixing method. Bloke i know broke the mounts that held his differential to his gearbox casing on his Fisher Fury at one. A couple of 2ton cable ties later and he drove home fine
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

hehe I got a load of cable ties in the boot, absolutely superb they are
mijyou
My Cars:

Post by mijyou »

I will attack it at the weekend.
I will get the cable ties just in case[:D]
mijyou
My Cars:

Post by mijyou »

Does the gearknob on the ZX screw off? because i tried to unscrew it even tried it with mole grips and small stilsons and got to the point where I thought it might break off if i put more pressure on.
Any ideas
Jim [xx(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

To my experience - all recent cars has screwed on gearknobs - as all car shops seems to be loaded with such jingles in any thinkable colour/shape/material.
The threads would be standard cw threads - but may be locked by Locktite - in which case some patient time with a hairdrier may do the trick.