How many AXs on this board?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark W
My Cars:

How many AXs on this board?

Post by Mark W »

As I have now bought a 92 AX 1100 Echo 5 door with 102K on the clock, was wondering who else was running a AX of any type on this list. Seem few and far between. A quick mention of what you are running and your view of it!
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've a 1100 AX on the dirve at home, my others half old car.
It failed the MOT 18 months ago and I've been a bit busy to get it back on the road - summer just seem to come and go.
Good car for the time we had it on the road. My main view of it would be economical, reliable but flimsy. We had it a year and the only work I did on it (apart from normal servicing) was a driveshaft replcement.

mipzter
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Ax 1.0i Debut ( 95M ).
Currently in the garage waiting for me to strip the head down and find out why it seized, and the engine knocked.
Other than that, a good car with 55 - 60mpg capability.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello!
I've an 89 AX GT 155K on the clock and running sweet with a 4-1 GMC manifold, Pipercross Breather & Green Cotton Air Filter with Cold air ram, Sparco Strut brace...etc etc
and its black[:D]
LONG LIVE THE AX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:p]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Boy Racer !
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,
I have a 1993 AX 1.4 diesel with 155,000 miles. Goes like stink will sit at 80mph all day and saves me £350 per year compared to my old fiat panda 1000cc.
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

There is a 1990 Jazz sitting on my drive right now. Supposed to belong to my kids but they hate it, so I drive it - and service it. Crap little puddle-jumper with good lights, good economy and very strange pedals.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I've got a P reg AX 1.5 Diesel. Absolutely cracking motor. Only had it a week and had to put a new driveshaft in. Also needs new injector seals. Shifts when you put your foot down and apparently does 75mpg, which is a bit better than the fiesta that it replaced (33mpg). Only problem I have with it is the flimsyness and small size on the motorway. Other car is a Xantia Estate though.
Ste
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

An old F-Reg 1.4 diesel has been my main car for just over 3 years until I recently brought the Xantia Estate. I've put nearly 100k miles on the poor AX in that time.
My views are slightly mixed - I'm not a small car person, but I needed the economy when I brought it. For a small car it is excellent: surprisingly roomy, fairly sprightly (unless you get too many hills), reliable and very cheap to run and maintain. The down side is a tight and awkward driving position and an alloy engine that loves to throw its head gasket every 50k or so (one day I’ll get it all skimmed up – or maybe I won’t).
I don’t believe there are any older small cars that come close to it for cheap, reliable running. I could do with keeping a second car and I have been toying with replacing the AX with something else small (low tax), frugal, cheap to buy and reliable – I really haven’t come up with anything else except, maybe, a Pug 106. Silly really, as the only reason I’d like to replace it is the driving position…
In over 95,000 miles I have done the head gasket 3 times (with cooling problems between the second and third), replaced CV gaiters (a real 5h1+ of a job), had a new set of glow plugs and had to weld up the clutch release arm (that snapped due to a poor design). Most of the exhaust hasn’t been changed and the clutch and gearbox has been excellent; and it still starts first time - pretty darn good if you ask me.
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

Wife has a 1990 AX 1.4 GT for her to learn to drive in.
Its a very economical little around town car with plenty of power (GT model)
Very small and flimsy but fun to drive(away from motorway). Great little engine, lots of noise, strong pull....loads of torque steer on hard acceleration. Horrible on Motorway, noisy and causes concerns that engine will blow due to the high revs at cruising speeds.
Decent handling although a little lacking in grip and does not feel very stable at high speeds.
Small Pedals dont work with big feet. Seats are big and soft but anoying as they tend to push your shirt up at the back making it uncomfortable. Electric windows and Central locking are nice for a car of this age and type, even if their operation is a little crude.
Its poorly made from very cheap materials but seems reliable and does what is was designed for.
Not entirely sure it actually uses any fuel, parts and insurance is cheap(especially compared to similar performance cars of era(Gti's..etc).
David
91 BMW 535i Sport (Mine)
90 AX GT (Wife's)
89 VW Golf Gti (Project)
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

Boy Racer !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I prefer the term "Car Modifier"[:p]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I look after a 1.5D Elation N-reg (my mums) if that counts?
Personally i hate it, but thats probably because i only ever fix it! I like a car that is big enough to get a tonne of camping gear in, 5 people and a stack of kayaks on the roof, and more importantly a car i can climb on, just to get the kayaks off the roof!!
on the other hand when we bought it brand new, my dad did many fuel tests on it just to see if he had been conned (only bought it for ecconomy!). If it was driven 'gently' down the motorway kind of 55 ish then it generally did about 72MPG which for a booked value of 75MPG is fantastic!
Still pretty economical and nippy!