Reprogramming plips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No -
These 2. generation RF plip units are unique as handsenders. It's the in-car receiver you programme by the hand unit.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ooops -
If you have the 1.st generation IR plips - then it's not that big a problem.
These senders must be programmed mechanically - using a soldering iron - to match the likewise mechanically programmed receiver.
Either the receiver are programmed to match 2 identical senders - or an extra sender is programmed to match a working sender.
Bob Smith has detailed info on this on his website - for the BX/CX style IR plips - but the interior of these IR plips are the same no matter external design :
http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/plip/
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The early Xantias had an IR plip which is different to the BX/ZX/CX/XM plip. You do not need a plip to match the reciever. The system is reprogrammed to accept the plip by turning on the ignition and firing the plip at the reciever (obviously you need a second key to do that).
I bought an second one for the Xantia I had. Although my memory is a little vague, the dealer may have done me a swap on the internals of my old plip.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
This my first post so i will try and contribute.[:D]
My experiance with plips is the earlyier infrared plips. You can programme two plips in at the same time as i have done it. If u have 2 plips to programme you need to press them both at the same time at the receiver unit on the ceiling. Also the ignition needs to b on at the same time ,so if you have 2 plips u need to remove the blade (key part) from one of the plips to turn the ignition on. The blade is removed by removing the rivet thing in the plip. Its just pushed together.These are pence at a citroen dealer to replace.(Or get another key cut)
With ignition on and both plips pressed against the receiver keep pressing the plips for about half a minute. You may need several goes at it but it worked for me.
Incidently, if u suspect a plip is not working correctly, whether IR or UF you can take it 2 your local citroen dealer which has a tool for checking the outputs of plips. And there was no charge for me!!
Good luck![:)]
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
Could u explain the soldering iron method?
thanks
[:)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by monkeyman</i>

If u have 2 plips to programme you need to press them both at the same time at the receiver unit on the ceiling. Also the ignition needs to b on at the same time ,so if you have 2 plips u need to remove the blade (key part) from one of the plips to turn the ignition on. The blade is removed by removing the rivet thing in the plip. Its just pushed together.These are pence at a citroen dealer to replace.(Or get another key cut)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
also to save splitting the rivet on the key blade just take the little screw out the back of the pilp & remove the insides from the casing.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Monkey man - the soldering iron method is detailed in the link above.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

[:)]
Thanks now i see it!
[:D]
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

The keypad is seperate from the alarm system i believe, so should not affect it at all.
[;)]