Loud Rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kookysaphire

Loud Rattle

Post by kookysaphire »

Hi more problems again with xantia 2l 8v 1992.
I have a loud rattling sound,(sounds like bent cam) rattles even when standing still. It stops when I turn the steering wheel. Also every now and then I have no power steering when turning right. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause this [:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sounds like the hydraulic pressure regulator is trying to tell you a tale....
I bet it's the accumulator sphere that needs replacing - the green sphere located down front on engine block.
kookysaphire

Post by kookysaphire »

All the spheres including the accumulator were changed about 3 months ago, this problem is a new one. Could it be the hydraulic pump as the noise seems to come from down by pullie.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok - no more secrets please - [8D]
AFAIR there have been reports on hyd pumps which had worked loose in the mountings.
If this does not seem to be the problem - the pump may simply be worn out - likely on a '92 xantia.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Just small objection - there are no Xantias made in 1992! They started to be produced as of May 1993.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Bit late in the picture here, but rattle can be caused by the pump sucking air in. This can be caused by low LHM level, and would also be in line with loss of power steering on early car with FDV. So, check LHM level, and then check security and condition of suction hose. However, early Xantia pumps are known to be weak, so expect the worst!