ZX Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ddahaa

ZX Brakes

Post by ddahaa »

I've just changed the disks and pads on the front of my zx and found the pads to be worn more on the osf than the nsf, though the calipers and sliders appeared quite free on both sides. After driving to work this morning the osf wheel was quite warm to the touch. Is it worth taking the caliper back off and trying to free it up a bit more or should I just wait and see if it improves once they have bedded in a bit more. (Only done 7 miles so far)
1996 ZX Volcane TD
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Nope, it'll not get better on it's own. You're suffering from the reknown dragging ZX caliper.
Try and free it up using your favorite method, but be prepared to change the caliper as they are one of the genuine weak points of this otherwise excellent car.
Fortunately, reconditioned ones are *cheap* from GSF / Andyspares.
ddahaa

Post by ddahaa »

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go. It might explain why the performance had dropped off a bit and the fuel consumption had increased slightly!!! Are the pads always a pain to install? I had loads of fun trying to get them into position in the caliper.
ddahaa

Post by ddahaa »

I had another look at the brakes and although the calipers are quite rusty on the outside, the pistons looked all shiny and new. So I regreased the sliders, refitted the pads and all seems ok. (Don't fancy trying to turn the bleed niples when I decide to change the fluid though).
I thought I'd have a look at the rears while I was on, found the disk to be quite scored and rusty so it musn't be doing much, though the handbrake part works fine. Oh well, maybe some rear disks and pads are needed now!!!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hello again, I have also just fitted berlingo calipers and discs to my zx volcane. Both sides cost me £50 from a breakers. I got the pads as well!! put them straight on and it made a HUGE difference to my old sticky zx calipers. Alot bigger too at 266mm. The pads and discs were quite new as well!! The £50 price is alot cheaper than one reconditioned caliper, and as the berlingo brakes come from 2000-onwards on the hdi models the calipers are in excellent condition.
I would try this approach before buying a new caliper/discs/pads.
Cheers
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Just for those that don't know, you will need at least 14" wheels for this conversion, Im not sure about the ZX but quite a few 306's lower in the range only have 13" wheels. I did it on my 306 about a year ago, the brakes are so much better. I used brand new discs and pads though.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddahaa</i>

Don't fancy trying to turn the bleed niples when I decide to change the fluid though.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Start preparing for this job now by wire brushing the bleed nipples and regularly applying plus gas to the threads. Also remove the rubber cap and squirt a bit down there.
If they will shift without shearing off, get a bit of copper grease on the threads as soon as you can. Better still, get prepared and have new nipples ready and put them in with the copper grease on the threads.
NickB
My Cars:

Post by NickB »

reference the berlingo brake conversion, I note the andyspares ptno for the discs is N62316/A, which is also for the ZX16v and Xantia, doesanyone know if the calipers from these models fit the hub carriers? Widens the choice if they do. Nick B.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Arghhh!!! you doing this on purpose?? I have just finished servicing, polishing, and painting some volcane calipers bought ready to install on my XZ tomorrow!! [:0] *Now* you tell me berlingo are better!! [V] sob sob.. I have not bought the new disks yet soooo what do I do?? Dump the volcanes and buy berlingo? My wheels are 14 ZX ally's now but the originals were 13 inch with deeper tyres.. Do I postpone and get berlingos???? Will they fit?? Help/advice urgently needed as car is booked in for tues morning 11-30! (13 jan 004).. [:0] [:(!]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yes they fit straight on. Certainly with the 306, the pedal was lighter and had slightly more travel than before (with the 247mm vented discs) but this is probably due to the berlingo calipers having a bigger piston.
The ZX 16V calipers will fit, but the Xantia ones have the handbrake mechanism on the front calipers, so not sure about those. The advantage of the Berlingo calipers is that a) they are newer and b) the pad area is far larger than the ZX 16V.
Another newer conversion that the Peugeot boys seem to be doing is the 206 GTi180 brakes, they have 285mm front discs, but you need 15" wheels for this. Again, simply a bolt on job, no modifications required.
Ross
PS The Berlingo shares its calipers discs/pads with the Xsara 1.8 16V, 1997 onwards Pug 306 XSi and 1997 Onwards Peugeot 306 estate.
NickB
My Cars:

Post by NickB »

To Rossd,
Thanks for that info, much appreciated, any idea what citroen/pug has the same f.struts as the early ZX volcane, particularly in relation to the anti-roll bar link brackets?
Jon

Post by Jon »

And, no one seems to have mentioned the fact that xantia Calipers are designed for LHM fluid and the ZX uses conventional brake fluid!! [:0]
Berlingo discs/calipers are the way to go, I'm going to be doing this upgrade myself when I finally manage to wear out my rock hard Pagid fast road pads.
You'll find the same caliper on Peugeot Partner, 306 with Girling calipers and vented discs 97>> and some Xsara estates.
Beware that Berlingo/Partner/Xsara after RP9127 go over to a Bosch caliper which is completely different.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

<<To Rossd,
Thanks for that info, much appreciated, any idea what citroen/pug has the same f.struts as the early ZX volcane, particularly in relation to the anti-roll bar link brackets?>>
Im not sure, the 306 is very similar, but not sure if they would be interchangable. The ZX's seemed to use metal link rods but my 306 uses the plastic type. I could be wrong, but even though they are the same basic car under the skin, the ZX and 306 have very slightly different front suspension (at the component level, not in design!)
Jon: The Bosch caliper may be completely different to the Girling, but it fits ontp the 306 so it *should* fit onto the ZX. Haven't tried though so I could be wrong.
Ross
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I delayed the swop to think about it! I also made dozens of phone calls trying to locate a Berlingo.. No luck. I think it could prove a long search, meantime I do need decent brakes, so have booked the car in to have the volcane brakes fitted on Tuesday..